Counting FLOPS

Rouben Rostamian rouben at math9.math.umbc.edu
Fri Feb 15 11:40:44 AEST 1991

How does one count the number of floating point operations (flops) during
the execution of a C program?  I guess it is possible to trace manually all
loops and function calls and iterations and recursions, etc., and add them
up, but that will easily gets out of hand for a half-way complicated program.
Are there automatic tools for doing this?

I am primarily interested in a solution which will work under RISC Ultrix,
if that matters.

Rouben Rostamian

--
Rouben Rostamian                          Telephone: (301) 455-2458
Department of Mathematics and Statistics  e-mail:
University of Maryland Baltimore County   bitnet: rostamian at umbc.bitnet
Baltimore, MD 21228,  U.S.A.              internet: rouben at math9.math.umbc.edu