UNIX-to-PC communications help needed

Art Neilson art at pilikia.pegasus.com
Thu Feb 28 04:31:43 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb26.173658.25189 at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> gordon at osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (John Gordon) writes:
>I write:
>
>	Upon further thought, I think that I should have stated my
>needs a little clearer.  What I need is for the user to enter a search command
>into the PC, then the PC calls up the Unix system and relays the search
>command to a database, then captures the resultant information and sends
>it back down to the PC.  I am not sure exactly how is the best way to do
>this: have the Unix end save the info to a big file and just download it
>to the PC, or maintain the connection and just send info record-by-record
>as the user requests it, or what.  Something I would really be interested
>in would be C source examples of PC-Unix communications via a modem.
>Sorry that I did not make myself really clear on what I wanted.  If anyone
>could provide more help, I would be grateful.

This is gonna be inefficient at best.  How frequent will these requests be ?
Sounds like a job for a LAN to me, PC NFS or some such would fit the bill.
This could be a problem if the system you are extracting the data from is not
physically close to you, say in the same building.
Arthur W. Neilson III		| INET: art at pilikia.pegasus.com
Bank of Hawaii Tech Support	| UUCP: uunet!ucsd!nosc!pegasus!pilikia!art