UNIX-to-PC communications help needed

John Gordon gordon at osiris.cso.uiuc.edu
Wed Feb 27 04:36:58 AEST 1991

I write:

>	Hi, Netters.  I'm going to be working on a project that involves
>a PC dialing up a UNIX system, getting some information, and then logging
>off and processing the info.  The information could be small (< 5K) or
>large (> 2-5M).  Does any one have any suggestions on how to do this?
>Or any source code that would have helpful examples?  Any info will be
>greatly appreciated.

	Upon further thought, I think that I should have stated my
needs a little clearer.  What I need is for the user to enter a search command
into the PC, then the PC calls up the Unix system and relays the search
command to a database, then captures the resultant information and sends
it back down to the PC.  I am not sure exactly how is the best way to do
this: have the Unix end save the info to a big file and just download it
to the PC, or maintain the connection and just send info record-by-record
as the user requests it, or what.  Something I would really be interested
in would be C source examples of PC-Unix communications via a modem.
Sorry that I did not make myself really clear on what I wanted.  If anyone
could provide more help, I would be grateful.

---
John Gordon
Internet: gordon at osiris.cso.uiuc.edu        #include <disclaimer.h>
          gordon at cerl.cecer.army.mil       #include <clever_saying.h>