YABL (Yet Another Book List)

Mitch Wright mitch at hq.af.mil
Sun Feb 3 12:46:04 AEST 1991

Since there has been yet another "what book ...." thread, it's time Yet
Another Book List to be posted.  The list has changed slightly (yes! again)
but I think it is for the better (unless I hear a better suggestion).
The format has changed to make it darn right trivial to convert to bib format
or any other for that matter.  I have also put the list into alphabetical
order.

For complaints, kudos, suggestions, corrections, additions, donations, ...
drop me an E-mail note -- mitch at oz.com.

TITLE: !%@:: A Guide to Electronic Mail Addressing
AUTHOR: Frey, Donnalyn
AUTHOR: Adams, Rick
SUBJECT: Introduction
PUBLISHER: O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.
DATE: 1989
PAGES: 284
ISBN: 0-937175-93-0
APPROX_COST: 26.95
KEYWORDS: Nutshell Handbook
KNOWN_SUPPLIERS
	E-mail: ... uunet!ora!nuts
	Phone#: 1-800-338-NUTS

TITLE: (no title given)
AUTHOR: (no author given)
SUBJECT: Introduction to UNIX
PUBLISHER:
DATE: 19??
PAGES: 297
ISBN: 0-8359-8164-9, paperback: 0-8359-8162-2
COMMENTS
	Introductory level book, extremely basic and easy reading.  I read
	this on a plane trip between Newark, NJ and Columbus, OH before I ever
	worked seriously with UNIX.  Unlike, Rebecca Thomas and Jean Yates
	Tutorial style book this one does not require you to be sitting down
	in front of a crt in order to derive benefit from it.

TITLE: The AWK Programming Language
AUTHOR: Aho, Al
AUTHOR: Kernighan, Brian
AUTHOR: Weinberger, Peter
SUBJECT: AWK Programming
PUBLISHER: Addison Wesley
DATE: 1988
PAGES: 210
ISBN: 0-201-07981-X LC 87-17566
APPROX_COST: 23.75

TITLE: Advanced C Programming for Displays
AUTHOR: Rochkind, Marc J.
SUBJECT: Programming
PUBLISHER: Prentice-Hall
DATE: 1988
PAGES: 265
ISBN:
APPROX_COST: 31.95
SUGGESTED_BY: "Michael J. Chinni, SMCAR-CCS-E" <mchinni at PICA.ARMY.MIL>
COMMENTS
	Covers Character Displays, Windows, and Keyboards for UNIX and MS-DOS.

TITLE: Advanced UNIX Programming
AUTHOR: Rochkind, Marc J.
SUBJECT: Programming
PUBLISHER: Prentice-Hall
EDITION: 1985, pp 265
ISBN: 0-13-011818-4, paperback: 0-13-011800-1
APPROX_COST: 34.95
KEYWORDS: SYSV
COMMENTS
	Rochkind is a former Bell Labs UNIX guru who wrote SCCS back in the
	mid 70's.  This book is exactly what the title states, basically an
	extremely thorough treatment of programming using the UNIX System
	Call Interface.  System V, System III, V7, 4.2 BSD, and Xenix are
	all discussed.  The system calls are organized functionally into
	chapters that cover file i/o, terminal i/o, process control,
	interprocess communication, and miscellaneous calls.  The opening
	chapter is an overvview of fundamental concepts of UNIX.  Anytime
	I have a question on the usage of system calls I consult this book.
	The only problem with it is that it needs to be updated per
	System V Rel 3, 4.3 BSD and the efforts of Sun and AT&T to bring
	SunOS and System V together as well as the efforts in the UNIX 386
	world.

TITLE: Advanced UNIX: A Programmer's Guide
AUTHOR: Prata, Stephen
SUBJECT: Programming Guide
PUBLISHER: Howard W. Sams & Co.
DATE: 1985
PAGES: 484
ISBN: 0-067-22403-8.
APPROX_COST: 24.95
KEYWORDS: SYSV
COMMENTS
	Prata assumes you know how to login and use an editor.  It's very
	good for shell programing.

TITLE: BSD 4.3 Manual Set
AUTHOR: University of California Berkeley
SUBJECT: 4.3 BSD UNIX Operating System
DATE: June 1988
PAGES:
ISBN:
APPROX_COST: 60.00/set
SUGGESTED_BY: An anonymous BSD zealot
KNOWN_SUPPLIERS:
	Printed by the USENIX Association as a service to the UNIX Comm.
COMMENTS
	This is a must for programmers, administrator, and users alike.
	If you are in contact with the BSD UNIX Operating system, YOU
	need these manuals!  Kudos to the boys at Cory and Evans!

TITLE: A Book on C
AUTHOR: Kelley, Al
AUTHOR: Pohl, Ira
SUBJECT: C Programming
PUBLISHER: Benjamin/Cummings Publishing Company, Inc.
DATE: 1984
PAGES: 362
ISBN: 0-8053-6860-4
APPROX_COST: 32.25
SUGGESTED_BY: Mitch Wright <mitch at hq.af.mil>
COMMENTS
	This is a book written with the beginning C programmer in mind.

TITLE: The C Answer Book
AUTHOR: Tondo, Clovis L.
AUTHOR: Gimpel, Scott E.
SUBJECT: C programming
PUBLISHER: Prentice-Hall
DATE: 1985
PAGES: 209
ISBN: 0-13-109877-2
APPROX_COST: 21.00
KEYWORDS: K&R answers
COMMENTS
	This book provides the answers to the exercises found in K&R.  I
	believe that a second edition of this book has also been recently
	published corresponding with the 2nd edition of K&R.

TITLE: C Primer Plus Revised Edition
AUTHOR: Waite, Mitchell
AUTHOR: Prata, Stephen
AUTHOR: Martin, Donald
SUBJECT: C programming
PUBLISHER: Howard W. Samms & Company
DATE: 1987
PAGES: 558
ISBN: 0-672-22582-4
APPROX_COST: 23.95
SUGGESTED_BY: "Michael J. Chinni, SMCAR-CCS-E" <mchinni at PICA.ARMY.MIL>
COMMENTS
	An excellent beginners guide to C programming. I found out about this
	book through a vendor's training class on C, where they used it as the
	textbook.

TITLE: The C Programmer's Handbook
AUTHOR: Bolsky, Morris I.
SUBJECT: Reference
PUBLISHER: Prentice-Hall
DATE: 1985
PAGES: 84
ISBN: 0-13-110073-4
APPROX_COST: 22.95
KEYWORDS: C Programming
COMMENTS
	This is a handbook for experience programmers, not a book for reading.
	Information is intended as a quickie reference and is not that
	detailed.

TITLE: The C Programming Language, First Edition
AUTHOR: Kernigan, Brian W.
AUTHOR: Ritchie, Dennis M.
SUBJECT: C Programming
PUBLISHER: Prentice-Hall
DATE: 1978
PAGES: 228
ISBN: 0-13-110163-3
APPROX_COST: 27.00
KEYWORDS: C, UNIX, K&R C
SUGGESTED_BY: Mitch Wright <mitch at hq.af.mil>
COMMENTS
	** The Original Bible of C programming **
	"... a book that ocntains a tutorial introduction to get new userss
	started as soon as possible, separate chapters on major features
	and a reference manual"

TITLE: The C Programming Language, Second Edition
AUTHOR: Kernigan, Brian W.
AUTHOR: Ritchie, Dennis M.
SUBJECT: C Programming
PUBLISHER: Prentice-Hall
DATE: 1988
PAGES: 272
ISBN: 0-13-110362-8
APPROX_COST: 28.00
SUGGESTED_BY: "Michael J. Chinni, SMCAR-CCS-E" <mchinni at PICA.ARMY.MIL>
COMMENTS
	The Bible of C programming

TITLE: The C Puzzle Book: Puzzles for the C Programming Language, 2nd Ed.
AUTHOR: Feuer, Alan R.
SUBJECT: C programming
PUBLISHER: Prentice-Hall
DATE: 1982
PAGES: 173
ISBN: 0-13-109934-5 paperback: 0-13-109926-4
APPROX_COST: 26.00
COMMENTS
	Exactly what the title indicates.  The puzzles are organized by
	chapter: basic arithmetic operators, assignment operators, logic and
	increment operators, bitwise operators, relational and conditional
	operators, operator precedence and evaluation.  The answers for all of
	the puzzles are also provided.  This is an excellent way to learn some
	of the more advanced expressions that can be concocted with C.

TITLE: C Traps and Pitfalls
AUTHOR: Koenig, Andrew
SUBJECT: C programming
PUBLISHER: Addison-Wesley
DATE: 1988
PAGES: 147
ISBN: 0-201-17928-8
APPROX_COST: 17.50
COMMENTS
	Andrew published a BTL Technical Memorandum by this title several
	years back. Later it was published as a Technical Report.  It has now
	been expanded into a book.  I read the TR and it was excellent.  I
	just recently finished the book and would recommend it to anyone who
	uses C.

TITLE: The C and Unix Dictionary
AUTHOR: Christian, Kaare
SUBJECT: Definitions of terms
PUBLISHER: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
DATE: 1988
PAGES: 216
ISBN: 0-471-60929-3, 0-471-60931-5 (pbk)
APPROX_COST: 24.95
COMMENTS
	Definitions of over 1000 terms in the C and Unix lexicon.

TITLE: C: A Reference Manual, 2nd Edition
AUTHOR: Harbison, Samuel P.
AUTHOR: Steele Jr., Guy L.
SUBJECT: C Programming
PUBLISHER: Prentice-Hall
DATE: 1987
PAGES: 404
ISBN: 0-13-109810-1, paperback: 0-13-109802-0
APPROX_COST: 31.95
COMMENTS
	An excellent book on C.  It is not really an introductory level book,
	and is a great companion to K&R (2nd Ed.).  Both this book and K&R
	(2nd Ed.) cover the draft-proposed ANSI standards.  Where H&S really
	stands out is in the sections that cover the UNIX library calls.  If
	you have ever struggled with any of printf or scanf family of library
	calls in trying to figure out the conversion rules in the format
	string, this book is the answer.

TITLE: Checking C programs with lint
AUTHOR: Darwin
SUBJECT: Introduction
PUBLISHER: O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.
DATE: 1988
PAGES: 72
ISBN: 0-937175-30-7
APPROX_COST: 12.95
KEYWORDS: Nutshell Handbook
KNOWN_SUPPLIERS
	E-mail: ... uunet!ora!nuts
	Phone#: 1-800-338-NUTS

TITLE: Compiler Design in C
AUTHOR: Holub, Allen I.
SUBJECT: Compiler Design
PUBLISHER: Prentice-Hall
DATE: 1990
PAGES: 924
ISBN:0-13-155045-4
KEYWORDS: C Compilers, YACC
SUGGESTED_BY: Mitch Wright <mitch at oz.com>
COMMENTS
	Great book!  And lots of source examples to boot.

-=-End-of-List-=-

TITLE: DOS Meets UNIX
AUTHOR: Dougherty, Dale
AUTHOR: O'Reilly, Tim
SUBJECT: Introduction
PUBLISHER: O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.
DATE: 1988
PAGES: 134
ISBN: 0-937175-21-8
APPROX_COST: 15.00
KEYWORDS: Nutshell Handbook
KNOWN_SUPPLIERS
	E-mail: ... uunet!ora!nuts
	Phone#: 1-800-338-NUTS

TITLE: Data Structures and C Programs.
AUTHOR: Van Wyk, Christopher
SUBJECT: C programming
DATE: 1988
PAGES:
ISBN:
APPROX_COST: 41.95
SUGGESTED_BY: srvarma at rodan.acs.syr.edu
KEYWORDS: C, Data Structures
COMMENTS
	The author is from Bell Labs and this is also one of my favorite books
	for learing C programming with different kinds of data structures."

TITLE: The Design and Implementation of the 4.3BSD Unix Operating System
AUTHOR: Leffler, Samuel J.
AUTHOR: McKusick, Marshall Kirk
AUTHOR: Karels, Michael J.
AUTHOR: Quarterman, John S.
SUBJECT: Design of BSD UNIX
PUBLISHER: Addison-Wesley
DATE: 1989
PAGES: 471
ISBN: 0-201-06196-1
APPROX_COST: 39.00
KEYWORDS: Internals, Kernel, BSD
SUGGESTED_BY: Mitch Wright <mitch at hq.af.mil>
COMMENTS
	These are the primary people who are responsible for 4.3 BSD.

	--From back cover--
	This book is the first authoritative description of the design and
	implementation  of the research version of the UNIX System developed
	at the University of California at Berkeley.  It covers the INTERNAL
	structure of the 4.3BSD system and the concetps, data structures, and
	algorithms used in implementing the system facilites.  The book also
	includes a chaper on the implementation of TCP/IP -- a networking
	protocol suite widely implemented throughout the world.

	Both philosophical and design issues of 4.3BSD are discussed, as well
	as details of the actual implementation.  In most cases, the
	discussion starts at the system-call level and descends from the
	interface to the kernel down to the hardware itself.  The kernel
	includes system facilities such as process management, memory
	management, the I/O system, the filesystem, the socket IPC mechanism,
	and network-protocol implementations.

	The Design and Implemenation of the 4.3BSD UNIX Operating System is an
	in-depth study of a contemporary operating system.  This book assumes
	that the reader understands basic operating-system terminology and has
	some familiarity with any version of the UNIX System and with the C
	programming language. Therefore, this book is suitable for
	operating-system implementors, systems programmers, and UNIX
	application developers.

TITLE: The Design of the Unix Operating System
AUTHOR: Bach, Maurice J.
SUBJECT: Design of UNIX
PUBLISHER: Prentice-Hall
DATE:
PAGES:
ISBN: 0-13-201799-7
APPROX_COST: 47.20
KEYWORDS: SYSV, AT&T
COMMENTS
	A good generic introduction to kernel operation. (System V)

TITLE: Efficient C
AUTHOR: Plum, Thomas
AUTHOR: Brodie, Jim
SUBJECT: C programming
PUBLISHER: Plum Hall
DATE: 1985
PAGES: 150
ISBN: 0-911537-05-8
APPROX_COST: 25.00
COMMENTS
	This is a useful book.  Portability is one aspect of programming in C.
	Efficiency is the other.  Many use C because it allows them the
	freedom to tie the programs down to the hardware in order to run
	efficiently. This book is an excellent guide and when combined with
	Jon Bentley's book on writting efficient programs gives one an
	excellent background in measuring programs and fine tuning them.

TITLE: Exploring the UNIX system
AUTHOR: Kochan, Stephen G.
AUTHOR: Wood, Patrick H.
SUBJECT: Introduction to UNIX
PUBLISHER: Hayden Book Company
DATE: 1984
PAGES: 370
ISBN: 0-8104-6268-0
APPROX_COST: 22.95
SUGGESTED_BY: "Michael J. Chinni, SMCAR-CCS-E" <mchinni at PICA.ARMY.MIL>
KEYWORDS: Introduction
COMMENTS
	A very good intro. book to UNIX. Has chapters on UNIX file system,
	Bourne shell, vi, Program development, security, communications, and
	administration.

TITLE: Internetworking with TCP/IP
AUTHOR: Comer, Douglas
SUBJECT: Networking
PUBLISHER: Prentice-Hall
DATE: 1988
PAGES: 382
ISBN: 0-13-470154-2
APPROX_COST: 47.00
SUGGESTED_BY: Mitch Wright <mitch at hq.af.mil>
COMMENTS
	-- From back of book
	This comprehensive book begins with a discussion of the TCP/IP
	technology and the Internet in general terms, summarizing the services
	provided and the history of their development.

	The remainder of the book looks at the architecture of the Internet,
	the TCP/IP technology, and the applications that use it in more
	detail.  It discusses the fundamentals of protocols like TCP/IP as
	well as showing how they fit into the internet.  In additon to
	providing details, the book highlights the general principles
	underlying network protocols, and explains why the TCP/IP protocols
	adapt easily to so many underlying network technologies.  Readers will
	find a brief summary of the network hardware used throughout the
	Internet that focuses on the features of each technology that are of
	primary importance to an Internet architect.

TITLE: Introducing The UNIX System
AUTHOR: McGilton, Henry
AUTHOR: Morgan, Rachel
SUBJECT: Introduction to UNIX
PUBLISHER: McGraw-Hill Book Company
DATE: 1983
PAGES: 556
ISBN: 0-07-045001-3
APPROX_COST: 27.95
SUGGESTED_BY: "Michael J. Chinni, SMCAR-CCS-E" <mchinni at PICA.ARMY.MIL>
COMMENTS
	Introductory for the most part, but far more extensive than Gauthier's
	book. There are two chapters on editors and two on text formatting
	that are the best I have seen in this type book.  There is even a
	chapter on system management.

	... a later edition of this book was targeted specifically to
	System V.   -- Henry

TITLE: Introducing UNIX System V
AUTHOR: Morgan, Rachel
CO-AUTHORS: McGilton, Henry
SUBJECT: Introduction
PUBLISHER: McGraw-Hill
DATE: 1987
PAGES:
ISBN:
APPROX_COST: 24.95
COMMENTS
	It gives the user a good working knowledge of a number of commands
	and packages.  I emphasize that it is a user book, by no means a
	technical manual.  I assume by the difficulty in getting it in these
	parts that it is pretty popular.

TITLE: An Introduction to Berkeley Unix
AUTHOR: Wang, Paul
SUBJECT: Introduction
PUBLISHER: Wadsworth Publishing Company
DATE: 1988
PAGES: 512
ISBN: 0-534-08862-7
APPROX_COST: 36.75
UNIX_FLAVORS: BSD
COMMENTS
	If you need a BSD oriented book, then I don't think you would find a
	more thorough introductory book.

TITLE: The Kornshell, Command and Programming Language
AUTHOR: Korn, David G.
AUTHOR: Bolsky, Morris I.
SUBJECT: Korn shell programming
PUBLISHER: Prentice-Hall
DATE: 1989
PAGES: 356
ISBN: 0-13-516972-0
APPROX_COST: 30.00
KEYWORDS: ksh, SYSV
SUGGESTED_BY: Mitch Wright <mitch at hq.af.mil>
COMMENTS
	The book to have if you are beginning to learn the ksh.

TITLE: Learning the UNIX Operating System
AUTHOR: Todino, Grace
SUBJECT: Introduction
PUBLISHER: O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.
DATE: 1987
PAGES: 76
ISBN: 0-937175-16-1
APPROX_COST: 9.00
KEYWORDS: Nutshell Handbook
KNOWN_SUPPLIERS
	E-mail: ... uunet!ora!nuts
	Phone#: 1-800-338-NUTS

TITLE: Learning the vi Editor
AUTHOR: Lamb, Linda
SUBJECT: Introduction
PUBLISHER: O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.
DATE: 1988
PAGES: 150
ISBN: 0-937175-17-X
APPROX_COST: 15.00
KEYWORDS: Nutshell Handbook
KNOWN_SUPPLIERS
	E-mail: ... uunet!ora!nuts
	Phone#: 1-800-338-NUTS

TITLE: Life With UNIX
AUTHOR: Libes, Don
AUTHOR: Ressler, Sandy
SUBJECT: Introduction and Overview of UNIX
PUBLISHER: Prentice-Hall
DATE: 1989
PAGES: 350
ISBN: 0-13-536657-7
APPROX_COST: 30.95
KEYWORDS: Introduction, Overview
COMMENTS
        - A comprehensive overview of UNIX.  Major sections are:

	  UNIX in Time - Usual trash plus history of user groups,
		universities, with a comprehensive "who's who" in
		UNIX history.  Present & Future deals with where
		UNIX is now and where its going - companies,
		standards and dialects are treated at length.

	  UNIX Information - How people really learn about UNIX.
		Discussion of books, magazines, conferences, and, of
		course,	source code.

	  Inside UNIX - In-depth descriptions of UNIX from three
		different perspectives - user, programmer and
		adminstrator.

          Outside UNIX - Third-party stuff.  Discussions of how UNIX
		has prospered/withered in face of real-world problems.
		Underground - archives, USENET, public access UNIX,
		GNU, MINIX, public-domain and/or free software, etc.

          This book is quite unusual, not only because of its scope, but
          because it prints things that have never appeared in print (for one
          reason or another) - things that most people don't realize or find
          until years after they have used UNIX.  It is essentially a
          "reading between the lines" of all the other UNIX manuals, books
          and magazines.  Lastly, "Life With UNIX" is chock full of amusing
          UNIX stories and anecdotes, all designed to provide you with key
          insights into why UNIX is the way it is.  "Life with UNIX" is a
          must book for UNIX beginners to UNIX gurus.

	{ Best! Best! Best!  Hooray -- loved it!!!  S.B.Bassett }

TITLE: Managing Projects with Make
AUTHOR: Talbot, Steve
SUBJECT: Introduction
PUBLISHER: O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.
DATE: 1988
PAGES: 77
ISBN: 0-937175-04-8
APPROX_COST: 9.00
KEYWORDS: Nutshell Handbook
SUGGESTED_BY: Mitch Wright <mitch at hq.af.mil>
KNOWN_SUPPLIERS
	E-mail: ... uunet!ora!nuts
	Phone#: 1-800-338-NUTS

TITLE: Managing UUCP and USENET
AUTHOR: O'Reilly, Tim
AUTHOR: Todino, Grace
SUBJECT: Introduction
PUBLISHER: O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.
DATE: 1986
PAGES: 107
ISBN: 0-937175-09-9
APPROX_COST: 21.95
KEYWORDS: Nutshell Handbook
SUGGESTED_BY: Mitch Wright <mitch at hq.af.mil>
KNOWN_SUPPLIERS
	E-mail: ... uunet!ora!nuts
	Phone#: 1-800-338-NUTS

TITLE: Notes on the Draft C Standard
AUTHOR: Plum, Thomas
SUBJECT: C Programming
PUBLISHER: Plum Hall
DATE: 1987
PAGES: 92
ISBN: 0-911537-06-6
APPROX_COST: 10.00
COMMENTS
	Tom Plum is the Vice Chair of the ANSI X3J11 committee, so who better
	to write this book than he?  However, as with any of the other C books
	that treat the ANSI C Standard, it does not cover the Standard in it's
	final form due to the fact that it has yet to be adopted.  However,
	the price is about $10, so it makes a good pickup to keep informed
	about the standard and how it differs from K&R C.

TITLE: Numerical Recipes in C, The Art of Scientific Computing
AUTHOR: Press, William H.
AUTHOR: Flannery, Brian
AUTHOR: Teukolsky, Saul
AUTHOR: Vetterling, William
SUBJECT: C Programming
PUBLISHER: Cambridge University Press
DATE: 1988
PAGES: 735
ISBN: 0-521-35465-X
APPROX_COST: 44.50
SUGGESTED_BY: Mitch Wright <mitch at hq.af.mil>
COMMENTS
	". . . it is the one book to buy if you are going to have to solve
	anything numerically on a computer." - Dr. Dobb's Journal

TITLE: Operating  Systems, Design  and Implementation
AUTHOR: Tanenbaum, Andrew S.
SUBJECT: OS Design
PUBLISHER: Prentice-Hall
DATE: 1987
PAGES: 719
ISBN: 0-13-637406-9
APPROX_COST: 40.00
KEYWORDS: MINIX, UNIX
SUGGESTED_BY: Mitch Wright <mitch at oz.com>
COMMENTS
	-- From back cover --
	o Covers the fundamental principles in detail including processes,
	interporcess communication, semaphores, monitors, message passing,
	remote procedure call, scheduling algorithms input/output,
	deadlocks, device drivers, memory management, paging algorithms,
	file system design, network file servers, atomic transactions,
	security, and protection mechanisms.
	o discusses one system -- MINIX, a UNIXX-compatible operating
	system -- in detail to illustrate the principles.
	o provides a complete source code listing of MINIX for study.

TITLE: Operating System Design, The XINU approach
AUTHOR: Comer, Douglas
SUBJECT: OS Design
Publisher: Prentice-Hall
DATE: 1984
PAGES: 486
ISBN: 0-13-637539-1
APPROX_COST: $39.95
SUGGESTED_BY: Mitch Wright <mitch at oz.com>
COMMENTS:
	-- From back cover --
	In this book, Douglas Comer, dispels the magic from operating system
	design and consolidates the body of material into a systematic
	discipline...

	The author guides you through the construction of a conventional
	process-based system, using practical straightforward primitives...

TITLE: Portable C Software
AUTHOR: Horton, Mark
SUBJECT: C programming
PUBLISHER: Prentice Hall
DATE: 1990
PAGES: 400
ISBN: 0-13-868050-7
APPROX_COST: 32.95
COMMENTS:
	** From the back jacket:

	Portable C Software is designed for professional programmers and
	students who want to write portable C code between System V
	implementations, POSIX, MS DOS, and other operating systems.

	Assuming a working knowledge of C, this book addresses and rates
	each feature of the C software environment.  Shell commands, system
	calls, external variables, and macros are discussed and examined
	in detail.

	The author provides an advanced introduction to C, describes how
	best to write portable software, examines what not to do, discusses
	common mistakes, and includes an invaluable portability reference
	manual.  In this extensive manual, the author rates the portability
	of the following

	   o	subroutines available in C libraries
	   o	operating system calls
	   o	header include files
	   o	predefined variables in the C library
	   o	UNIX(R) system shell commands

	Portable C Software offers concise, current coverage of C, and
	will be an important reference for anyone who writes C programs.

	Of the nearly 400 pages, about 250 are reference material.  Some of it
	is fairly detailed.  If you find any errors, or have any suggestions
	for the next edition, please drop me a note at

			Mark.Horton at ATT.COM

	Thanks to everyone who made helpful suggestions or otherwise
	contributed to the book.  -- Mark

TITLE: Portable C and UNIX System Programming
AUTHOR: Lapin, J.E.
SUBJECT: C programming
PUBLISHER: Prentice-Hall
DATE: 1987
PAGES: 249
ISBN: 0-13-686494-5
KEYWORDS: Portable C
COMMENTS
	A useful book, mostly because there are no others written on this
	topic, yet...

TITLE: A Practical Guide to Sys V Unix
AUTHOR: Sobell, Mark
SUBJECT: SYSV Guide
PUBLISHER: Benjamin Cummings
DATE: 1985
PAGES:
ISBN:
APPROX_COST: 32.25

TITLE: A Practical Guide to the Unix System
AUTHOR: Sobell, Mark G.
SUBJECT: UNIX Guide
PUBLISHER: Benjamin/Cummings Publishing Co.
DATE: 1989
PAGES: 700
ISBN: 0-8053-8910-5 LC 83-21069
APPROX_COST: 27.95

TITLE: Programming with Curses
AUTHOR: Strang, John
SUBJECT: Introduction
PUBLISHER: O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.
DATE: 1986
PAGES: 71
ISBN: 0-937175-02-1
APPROX_COST: 9.00
KEYWORDS: Nutshell Handbook
KNOWN_SUPPLIERS
	E-mail: ... uunet!ora!nuts
	Phone#: 1-800-338-NUTS

TITLE: Reading and Writing Termcap Entries
AUTHOR: Strang, John
SUBJECT: Introduction
PUBLISHER: O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.
DATE: 1986
PAGES: 71
ISBN: 0-937175-02-1
APPROX_COST: 9.00
KEYWORDS: Nutshell Handbook
KNOWN_SUPPLIERS
	E-mail: ... uunet!ora!nuts
	Phone#: 1-800-338-NUTS

TITLE: Software Engineering in C.
AUTHOR: Darnell, Peter
AUTHOR: et. al.
SUBJECT: C programming
PUBLISHER: Springer-Verlag
DATE: 1988
PAGES:
ISBN:
APPROX_COST: 29.95
SUGGESTED_BY: srvarma at rodan.acs.syr.edu
COMMENTS
	One of the finest books I have seen for beginners. Highly recommended
	even for intermediate-level C programmers.

TITLE: Software Tools
AUTHOR: Kernighan, Brian W.
AUTHOR: Plauger, P. J.
SUBJECT:  How to write programs that make good tools.
PUBLISHER:  Addison-Wesley
DATE: 1976
PAGES: 338
ISBN: 0-201-03669-X
APPROX_COST: $20.00
KEYWORDS: programming, top-down design, software engineering.
COMMENTS
	The language used is RATFOR but it looks enough like C
	to be used by anyone who knows or is learning C.
	The book purports to contain generic examples that might
	be on any system; the reader will recognise many similarities
	to UNIX.
	Several UNIX-like commands and features are discussed in
	detail. Many UNIX design considerations and philosophies
	are explained.

TITLE: Termcap and Terminfo
AUTHOR: Strang, John
SUBJECT: Introduction
PUBLISHER: O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.
DATE: 1988
PAGES: 248
ISBN: 0-937175-22-6
APPROX_COST: 21.95
KEYWORDS: Nutshell Handbook
KNOWN_SUPPLIERS
	E-mail: ... uunet!ora!nuts
	Phone#: 1-800-338-NUTS

TITLE: Tricks of the UNIX Masters
AUTHOR: Sage, Russel G.
SUBJECT: Reference
PUBLISHER: Howard Sams & Co
DATE: 1987
PAGES: 400
ISBN: 0-672-22449-6.
APPROX_COST: 24.95
COMMENTS
	a "must add" to your list of UNIX books. For about $20, you'll get a
	lot of nifty little tricks & tips you won't pick up unless you've got
	a good UNIX guru to coach you.  The style is relaxed & aimed at a bit
	above the novice UNIX user (experienced programmer with sparse UNIX
	exposure).

TITLE: Typesetting Tables on the UNIX System
AUTHOR: McGilton, Henry
CO-AUTHORS: McNabb, Mary
SUBJECT: Using the 'tbl' utility
PUBLISHER: Trilithon Press, 334 State St., Ste. 106 Los Altos CA 94022
DATE: 1990
PAGES: 283
ISBN: 0-9626289-0-5
APPROX_COST: 20.00
KEYWORDS: Typesetting, tbl, troff
COMMENTS
	-- From the back cover:

	Reviewers said:
		"You're a pair of lunatics!" -- James Gosling, Sun Micro
		"Good Grief!" -- Ken Greer, Elan Computer Group, Inc.
		"Three Hundred Pages on TBL?!?" -- Prof. Powell, U. Minn

	I (S.B.Bassett) rather agree, but I wish there were more lunatics like
	these two, who would do a thorough job of documenting the workings of
	various cryptic, arcane, and downright quirky UNIX utilities for the
	benefit of those of us without source . . .

	I actually enjoyed reading this -- Henry sent me a complimentary copy
	in the hopes that I would review it here (thanks, Henry, I did), and I
	figured out why I had so much trouble with 'tbl' on a former job -- I'd
	have paid several times the price for a copy of this 2 years ago.  Too
	bad I'm not doing tech writing any more . . . ;^)

TITLE: The UNIX C Shell Field Guide
AUTHOR: Anderson, Gail
AUTHOR: Anderson, Paul
SUBJECT: C-Shell Guide
PUBLISHER: Prentice-Hall
DATE: 1986
PAGES: 374
ISBN: 0-13-937468-X
APPROX_COST: 31.00
KEYWORDS: C-shell, csh
SUGGESTED_BY: "Michael J. Chinni, SMCAR-CCS-E" <mchinni at PICA.ARMY.MIL>
COMMENTS
	I have heard this called the C-Shell Bible.

TITLE: UNIX Curses Explained
AUTHOR: Goodheart, Berny
SUBJECT: Complete Curses and Terminfo reference
PUBLISHER: Prentice-Hall
DATE: 1990
PAGES: 304
ISBN: 0-13-931957-3
SUGGESTED_BY: goodheart_berny at tandem.com
KEYWORDS: Introduction, Overview, Curses
COMMENTS
        This is a complete text and reference book on UNIX Curses.
	It provides C programmers and UNIX users with the expertise to
	create, install and debug, Curses written applications and
	terminfo description files using the UNIX System V.3 Operating
	System.

	Will enable any C programmer to create UNIX Curses or terminfo
	based programs.

	The text is based on UNIX System V.3 and refers to earlier
	releases where appropriate.

	In text examples on: using Curses; using Windows; color manipulation;
	using an alternative character set; pads; and terminfo.

	The book includes a full alphabetical reference section (120pp)
	documenting all curses functions from both past and present versions
	of the UNIX operating system.

	An appendix with terminfo reference tables for both the terminfo
	description designer and the C programmer.

TITLE: UNIX Network Programming
AUTHOR: Stevens, W. Richard
SUBJECT: UNIX Networking
PUBLISHER: Prentice Hall
DATE: 1990
PAGES: 772
ISBN: 0-13-949876-1
EDITION: 1990
APPROX_COST: 40.00
KEYWORDS: TCP/IP, XNS, SNA, NetBIOS, OSI, UUCP
SUGGESTED_BY: Richard Stevens ... { uunet | yale } ! hsi ! stevens
KNOWN_SUPPLIERS
     	(201) 767-5937  for fewer than 20 copies
     	(201) 592-2498  for corporate customers ordering 20 or more
     	(201) 767-5994  for Government orders
COMMENTS
	-- From back cover
	As networking software becomes increasingly importat in today's world,
	a book that teaches programmers how to write and how better to use
	this technology has finally arrived.

	... is unique because it includes numerous case studies of real
	network applications, as well as approximately 15,000 lines of
	C source code, take directly from their source files, to help further
	understanding of networking software.

	[ Source is available for anon. ftp at uunet.uu.net   ~mitch ]

TITLE: UNIX Networking
AUTHOR: Kochan, Stephen G.
AUTHOR: Wood, Patrick H.
SUBJECT: UNIX Networking
PUBLISHER: Hayden Books
DATE: 1989
PAGES: 400
ISBN: 0-672-48440-4
APPROX_COST: 29.95
KEYWORDS: Networking, TCP, NFS
SUGGESTED_BY: Frank W. Peters <peters at apple!CC.MsState.Edu>
COMMENTS
	An excellent book covering UUCP, TCP/IP, NFS, RPC, Streams, OSI, RFS,
	X11 and NeWS (Sun's postscript based graphical protocol). Each chapter
	serves as an excellent programmers introduction to the topic
	discussed."

TITLE: UNIX Papers for UNIX Developers & Power Users
AUTHOR: The Waite Group Editors - edited by Mitchell Waite
SUBJECT: UNIX Reference
PUBLISHER: Howard W. Sams & Co
DATE: 1987
PAGES: 518
ISBN: 0-672-22578-6
APPROX_COST: 26.95
COMMENTS
	This is a collection of papers.  Some of the them are introductions
	and others cover more arcane bits of knowledge.

TITLE: UNIX Programmers manual volumes 1&2
AUTHOR: Holt
AUTHOR: Rinehart; Winston
SUBJECT: UNIX...
PUBLISHER: Bell Laboratories
DATE:
PAGES:
ISBN: 0-03-061742-1 (v1), 0-03-061742-X (v2)
APPROX_COST:

TITLE: The UNIX Programming Environment
AUTHOR: Kernighan, Brian W.
AUTHOR: Pike, Rob
SUBJECT: Basic UNIX Programming
PUBLISHER: Prentice-Hall
YEAR: 1984
PAGES: 357
ISBN: 0-13-937699-2, paperback: 0-13-937681-X
APPROX_COST: 25.95
SUGGESTED_BY: *Everyone*
COMMENTS
	This book is what I call a classic.  Just buy it.
	a good programmer's introduction.

TITLE: UNIX SVR4, The Complete Reference
AUTHOR: Coffin, Stephen
SUBJECT: UNIX Reference
PUBLISHER: Osborne-McGraw Hill
DATE: 1990
PAGES: 882
ISBN: 0-07-881653-X
APPROX_COST: 29.95
SUGGESTED_BY: S.Coffin <scoffin at uswest.com>
COMMENTS
	An update, revision, expansion, and overall improvement of the
	best-selling UNIX, The Complete Reference (ISBN 0-07-881299-2).
	Written especially for SVR4.  New chapters on csh and ksh, troff,
	NFS and networking, and X Window System, as well as wholesale
	revision of many other chapters.  Well-written, readable, complete;
	but does not cover UNIX internals or software development.

TITLE: UNIX Shell Programming
AUTHOR: Kochan, Stephen G.
AUTHOR: Wood, Patrick H.
SUBJECT: Shell Programming
PUBLISHER: Hayden Book Company
DATE: 1985
PAGES: 442
ISBN: 0-8104-6309-1
APPROX_COST: 24.95
KEYWORDS: Bourne Shell, sh
COMMENTS
	I own this book, but I rarely crack it open.  I guess the main reason
	is that I am still a Bourne-again shell user.  For years I worked with
	a variety of systems where one might find csh and/or ksh.  However,
	/bin/sh was the only common denominator.  I find that most often I
	refer to Kernighan and Pike for shell programming questions.  However,
	they don't address the C Shell (csh) or Korn Shell (ksh).  This book
	does offer a chapter on each.  In addition, this book may be more
	suited for a beginner than an experienced UNIX programmer.

TITLE: UNIX System Administration Handbook
AUTHOR: Nemeth, Evi
CO-AUTHORS: Snyder, Garth; Seebass, Scott
SUBJECT: System Administration
PUBLISHER: Prentice Hall
ISBN: 0-13-933441-6
DATE: 1989
PAGES: 593
APPROX_COST: 32.00
KEYWORDS: SunOS, BSD, Administration
SUGGESTED_BY: Michael S. Cross <msc at ihc.att.com>
COMMENTS
	{ I'm recommending it for all of the people who get workstations
	  from us, and for all of the User Services people here -- an
	  added plus is that the programs listed are available by
	  anonymous ftp from the authors' home system.  S.B.Bassett }

	The book does a pretty good job of explaining the differences
	between the types of UNIX(R) systems and administering them.  It's
	also on the light or humorous side which is a definite plus.

TITLE: UNIX System Programming
AUTHOR: Haviland, Keith
AUTHOR: Salama, Ben
SUBJECT: Programming
PUBLISHER: Addison-Wesley
DATE: 1987
PAGES: 339
ISBN: 0-201-12919-1
APPROX_COST: 27.95
COMMENTS
	Concentrates on the UNIX System call interface.

TITLE: UNIX System Security
AUTHOR: Wood, Patrick H.
AUTHOR: Kochan, Stephen G.
SUBJECT: UNIX Security
PUBLISHER: Hayden Book Company
DATE: 1985
PAGES: 299
ISBN: 0-8104-6267-2
APPROX_COST: 34.95
KEYWORDS: Security
SUGGESTED_BY: Mitch Wright <mitch at hq.af.mil>
COMMENTS
	-- From back cover

	Here is a practical guide to computer security on the UNIX system for
	the user, administrator, or potential UNIX system buyer.  It will
	teach you everything you need to know ot make your system secure and
	keep it that way. Topics covered include:

	- file and directory permissions
	- password security
	- how the setuid/gid permissions work and how to use them
	- how the various security-related UNIX commands and functions work
	- how to write secure programs
	- different methods of data encryption -- including the government
	  standard DES algorithm -- and how secure they are
	- data encryption over communication networks
	- how to discover and plug potential security holes in your system
	- how to periodically monitor your system to maintain security

	Also included is the complete source for several security auditing and
	administration programs.

TITLE: UNIX System V Bible
AUTHOR: Prata, Stephen
AUTHOR: Martin, Donald
SUBJECT: SYSV Reference
PUBLISHER: Howard Sams & Company
DATE:
PAGES:
ISBN: 0-672-22562-X
APPROX_COST: 24.95
COMMENTS
	This is a comprehenisve reference for programmers working with the
	UNIX operating system documentation, covering intermediate to advanced
	level programming for professionals who have prior experience
	programming in C or using UNIX.

TITLE: The UNIX System V Environment
AUTHOR: Bourne, Steven R.
SUBJECT: Users Guide
PUBLISHER: Addison-Wesley
DATE: 1987
PAGES: 378
ISBN: 0-201-18484-2
APPROX_COST: 26.95
SUGGESTED_BY: Steen Hammerum
COMMENTS
	Steen Hammerum Department of Chemistry, University of Copenhagen says:
	"has been _very_ useful to me (proof: I'm on my second copy)"

TITLE: UNIX System: Readings and Applications
AUTHOR: AT&T
SUBJECT: Reference
PUBLISHER: Prentice-Hall
DATE: 1987
PAGES:
ISBN: 013-938532-0 (v1) 013-939845-7 (v2)
APPROX_COST: 19.00 each
COMMENTS
		Vol 1: UNIX Time-Sharing System
		Vol.2: The UNIX System

	These two volumes are reprints of the two volumes of the Bell
	Labs Technical Journal (now AT&T Tech J.) that were devoted to UNIX:
	Vol. 57, No. 6, Part 2, July-August, 1987, and
	Vol. 63, No. 8, October, 1984.

TITLE: UNIX Text Processing
AUTHOR: Dougherty, Dale
AUTHOR: O'Reilly, Tim
SUBJECT: Text Processing
PUBLISHER: Hayden Books
DATE: 1987
PAGES: 665
ISBN: 0-672-46291-5
APPROX_COST: 26.95
SUGGESTED_BY: Mitch Wright <mitch at hq.af.mil>
COMMENTS
	This is a MUST for all [nt]roff users.

TITLE: The UNIX Text Processing System
AUTHOR: Christian, Kaare
SUBJECT: Text Processing
PUBLISHER: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
DATE: 1987
PAGES: 250
ISBN: 0-471-85581-2
APPROX_COST: 24.95
SUGGESTED_BY: "Michael J. Chinni, SMCAR-CCS-E" <mchinni at PICA.ARMY.MIL>
COMMENTS
	I have found this to be a very good guide to nroff, and the -mm
	macros. It also covers the -ms macros, vi, eqn, tbl, refer, and pic

TITLE: UNIX for Super-Users
AUTHOR: Foxley, Eric
SUBJECT: Users Guide
PUBLISHER: Addison-Wesley
DATE: 1985
PAGES: 213
ISBN: 0-201-14228-7
APPROX_COST: 27.95
KEYWORDS: SYSV

TITLE: UNIX in a Nutshell (BSD)
AUTHOR:
SUBJECT: Introduction
PUBLISHER: O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.
DATE: 1987
PAGES: 270
ISBN: 0-937175-20-X
APPROX_COST: 19.50
KEYWORDS: Nutshell Handbook
KNOWN_SUPPLIERS
	E-mail: ... uunet!ora!nuts
	Phone#: 1-800-338-NUTS

TITLE: UNIX in a Nutshell (System V)
AUTHOR:
SUBJECT: Introduction
PUBLISHER: O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.
DATE: 1987
PAGES: 270
ISBN: 0-937175-19-6
APPROX_COST: 19.50
KEYWORDS: Nutshell Handbook
KNOWN_SUPPLIERS
	E-mail: ... uunet!ora!nuts
	Phone#: 1-800-338-NUTS

TITLE: UNIX, The Complete Reference
AUTHOR: Coffin, Stephen
SUBJECT: UNIX Reference
PUBLISHER: Osborne-McGraw Hill
DATE: 1988
PAGES: 704
ISBN: 0-07-881299-2
APPROX_COST: 24.95
COMMENTS
        An inexpensive reference and guide to System V in a style
	familiar to those from the micro world where OMH and QUE
	have many best selling guides to Lotus, DOS, Word, etc.

TITLE: Understanding and Using COFF
AUTHOR: Gircys, Gintaras R.
SUBJECT: Introduction
PUBLISHER: O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.
DATE: 1988
PAGES: 176
ISBN: 0-937175-31-5
APPROX_COST: 21.95
KEYWORDS: Nutshell Handbook
SUGGESTED_BY: Mitch Wright <mitch at hq.af.mil>
KNOWN_SUPPLIERS
	E-mail: ... uunet!ora!nuts
	Phone#: 1-800-338-NUTS
COMMENTS
	-- From back cover
	This handbook explains the COFF data structure and its manipulation.

	Contents include:
		- The basics of COFF
		- Assembley code relocation process
		- COFF file headers
		- Relocation structures
		- The linking process
		- The COFF system in UNIX
		- Magic numbers
		- The COFF symbolic debug system
		- COFF and shared libraries
		- Utilities and techniques for working with COFF files
		- A sample program to manipulate COFF

	[ Source used in this book is available via ftp from UUNET  ~mitch ]

TITLE: Unix Administrations Guide for System V
AUTHOR: Thomas, R.
AUTHOR: Farrow, R.
SUBJECT: System Administration
PUBLISHER: Prentice-Hall
DATE: 1989
PAGES:
ISBN:
APPROX_COST: 34.95
SUGGESTED_BY: Lars Tunkrans
COMMENTS
	Bought this book last week, seems to me to be the most
	comprehensive and fact-packed book on the subject I've ever seen.

TITLE: The Unix Command Reference Guide
AUTHOR: Christian, Kaare
SUBJECT: Topically organized reference for about 50 Unix commands
PUBLISHER: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
DATE: 1988
PAGES: 361
ISBN: 0-471-85580-4 (pbk)
APPROX_COST: 24.95
COMMENTS
	This book is a guide to the most useful Unix commands, organized
	topically.  It is used both as a handy reference, and as a quick start
	guide for technically adept users who are starting to use the Unix
	system. The book contains comprehensive sections on awk, sed, vi, and
	the Bourne shell. There are many examples.

TITLE: Unix Communications
AUTHOR: Costales, Bryan
SUBJECT: Communication Reference
PUBLISHER: The Waite Group
DATE: 1987
PAGES: 542
ISBN: 0-672-22511-5
APPROX_COST: 26.95
KEYWORDS: UUCP, USENET
COMMENTS
	Covers everything the end user needs to know about email, USENET
	and UUCP.

TITLE: The Unix Environment
AUTHOR: Walker, A. N.
SUBJECT: UNIX
PUBLISHER: John Wiley & Sons
DATE:
PAGES:
ISBN: 0-471-90564-X
APPROX_COST: 26.95
COMMENTS
	An excellent user's introduction. I have a special affection for
	this book, as it introduced me to the plural forms VAXen and Unices.

TITLE: The Unix Operating System, Second Edition
AUTHOR: Christian, Kaare
SUBJECT: Comprehensive introduction to Unix
PUBLISHER: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
DATE: 1988
PAGES: 455
ISBN: 0-471-84782-8, 0-471-84781-X (pbk)
APPROX_COST: 24.95
COMMENTS
	This is the second edition of a widely used, widely translated
	primevil Unix book.  It is a comprehensive introductory book that goes
	into more detail than most. While it is not a very good introduction
	for people who will only use the system superficially, it is an
	excellent introduction for those who plan to master the Unix system.
	It includes sections on the most useful utilities, shell programming,
	vi editing, and system internals.

TITLE: Unix Power Utilities for Power Users
AUTHOR: Muster, John
AUTHOR: Birns, Peter
SUBJECT: Introduction to UNIX
PUBLISHER: MIS Press
DATE: 1989
PAGES: 420
ISBN: 1-55828-000-6
APPROX_COST: 24.95
KNOWN_SUPPLIERS
	Phone 1-800-MANUALS
COMMENTS
	** From Page 2...

			Overview of Contents
	If you have the ability to log on the system, create, move, copy and
	remove files, create and change directories, and issue basic shell
	commands, you will be able to complete the exercises in these modules.
	If you are more experienced, you may be able to proceed quickly
	through part or all of Modules 2 and 3, and the introductory steps to
	several of the other modules.

TITLE: Unix System Administration
AUTHOR: Fiedler, David
AUTHOR: Hunter, Bruce H.
SUBJECT: System Administration
PUBLISHER: Hayden Books (Howard Sams & Co)
DATE: 1986
PAGES: 320
ISBN: 0-8104-6289-3
APPROX_COST: 24.94
KEYWORDS: Administration
COMMENTS
	-- From back cover --
	An essential guide for anyone who owns or operates a UNIX system.  The
	clear presentation and easy-to-follow style make it suitable for the
	user who does not have a technical background.  [...]
	Using step-by-step guidelines for complex procedures, the book
	includes information on:
		- making back-ups
		- configuring systems
		- writing shell programs
		- connecting a printer, a terminal, and other devices
		- communicating with other systems

TITLE: Unix for People
AUTHOR: Birns, Peter
AUTHOR: Brown, P.
AUTHOR: Muster, John
SUBJECT: Introduction
PUBLISHER: Prentice-Hall
DATE:
PAGES:
ISBN: 0-13-937442-6
APPROX_COST: 28.00

TITLE: Using C on the UNIX system
AUTHOR: Curry, David A.
SUBJECT: C programming
PUBLISHER: O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.
DATE: 1989
PAGES: 232
ISBN: 0-937175-23-4
APPROX_COST: 24.95
KEYWORDS: C, UNIX
SUGGESTED_BY: Mitch Wright <mitch at hq.af.mil>
KNOWN_SUPPLIERS
	E-mail: ... uunet!ora!nuts
	Phone#: 1-800-338-NUTS
COMMENTS
	This is a must for the Beginning UNIX programmer.

TITLE: Using UUCP and USENET
AUTHOR: Todino, Grace
SUBJECT: Introduction
PUBLISHER: O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.
DATE: 1986
PAGES: 91
ISBN: 0-937175-010-2
APPROX_COST: 17.95
KEYWORDS: Nutshell Handbook
SUGGESTED_BY: Mitch Wright <mitch at hq.af.mil>
KNOWN_SUPPLIERS
	E-mail: ... uunet!ora!nuts
	Phone#: 1-800-338-NUTS

TITLE: Writing a Unix Device Driver
AUTHOR: Egan, Janet I.
AUTHOR: Teixeira, Thomas J.
SUBJECT: Programming
PUBLISHER: John Wiley & Sons.
DATE: 1988
PAGES: 357
ISBN: 0-471-62811-5, paperback: 0-471-62859-X
APPROX_COST: 24.95
KEYWORDS: BSD, Xenix

TITLE: The Xenix Command Reference Guide
AUTHOR: Christian, Kaare
AUTHOR: Richter, Susan
SUBJECT: Topically organized reference for about 50 Xenix commands
PUBLISHER: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
DATE: 1988
PAGES: 420
ISBN: 0-471-61707-5 (pbk)
APPROX_COST: 24.95
COMMENTS
	This book is a guide to the most useful Xenix commands, organized
	topically.  It is used both as a handy reference, and as a quick start
	guide for technically adept users who are starting to use the Xenix
	system. The book contains comprehensive sections on awk, sed, vi, the
	Bourne shell, and system administration. There are many examples.

--
  ..mitch

   mitch at hq.af.mil (Mitch Wright) | The Pentagon, 1B1046 | (703) 695-0262

   ``A system without PERL is like a hockey game without a fight.''
		-- Mitch Wright