ftp sites for RCS (numbers please)

Ed Vielmetti emv at ox.com
Fri Feb 8 13:52:55 AEST 1991

In article <1827 at dinl.mmc.UUCP> mcdonley at dinl.uucp (alan mcdonley) writes:

   Please provide numbers for these sites:

   >    archive.cs.ruu.nl   /pub/GNU/rcs-5.5.tar.Z
   >    cs.purdue.edu       pub/RCS/rcs.5_5.tar.Z
   >    prep.ai.mit.edu     pub/gnu/rcs-5.5.tar.Z
   >    uunet.uu.net        gnu/rcs-5.5.tar.Z

Get a name server and resolver software that works.  Numbers died
out with the dinosaurs, and besides they are subject to arbitrary and
capricious change.  If you are using software from a major workstation
vendor that doesn't believe in domain name service, there are even
binary drop-in replacements for shared libraries to handle that.

Avail yourself of local resources.  Even if your workstation
doesn't have proper resolver code, there is probably a terminal server
or something around with the ability to turn numbers into names.

Read comp.archives; it's full of numeric addresses for most every
site mentioned.  (The numbers for prep and for uunet are probably on
your spool directory right now.)

Grab a copy of Jon Granrose's Anonymous FTP sites list.  It's on
	pilot.njin.net:/pub/ftp-list/ftp.list [128.6.7.38]
and has a lot of numbers and sites, more or less accurate but by no
means exhaustive.

Learn how to use "archie", the McGill U. tool that lets you search
through hundreds of sites FTP directories.  As a side effect it
returns IP addresses.  For instance the search
	echo "prog rcs-5.5.tar.Z" | mail archie at quiche.cs.mcgill.ca
would return by mail everywhere in the archie database that has that
file for FTP.

As a last resort there are several other ways of having remote
sites do a lookup for you; one that I know of can be gotten to this
way:
	telnet hermes.merit.edu		# e.g. 35.1.48.149
	Which Host? um-dns
	Query? hermes.merit.edu
		hermes.merit.edu
	        internet address is 35.1.48.149
	        internet address is 35.1.48.150

(this looks like one for the comp.archives/comp.sources.wanted
frequently asked questions list)

--
 Msen	Edward Vielmetti
/|---	moderator, comp.archives