Need to make "less" do a particular thing "right"

The Grey Wolf greywolf at unisoft.UUCP
Tue Feb 26 06:32:59 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb20.210427.26089 at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> phil at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Phil Howard KA9WGN) writes:
>pfalstad at phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Paul Falstad) writes:
>
>>man less reveals that...
>
>>man lesskey reveals that...
>
>I want to make the "less" command NOT switch over to the alterate screen.
>This is so that when I press "q" to quit from less, it will NOT switch
>back to the primary screen on me.  I want to have the data I am looking
>at in less be left on the screen, my shell prompt come up, and let me
>type my next command while still looking at what less was showing me.
>
>I did RTFM and could not find this.

I would say that you have some sort of souped-up termcap that loves to
use the memory-page capability of your terminal.  I would suggest that you
use a slightly less sophisticated version of your termcap, or get your
sysadmin to modify the termcap (usually ts and te capabilities) such that
the pages are not switched.

--
# The days of the computer priesthood are not over.
# May they never be.