WANTED: File scroller similar to less but with more features

Paul Falstad pfalstad at phoenix.Princeton.EDU
Thu Feb 21 03:18:39 AEST 1991

magrw at levels.sait.edu.au wrote:
>I am looking for a file scroller similar to less, but with as many of the
>following features as possible:
>        (1)     CASE-INSENSITIVE string search
>        (2)     Intelligent usage of VT100 (and/or VT220) keys such as:
>                        (i)     Cursor keys for moving around the file
>                        (ii)    PrevScrn (instead of b)
>                        (iii)   NextScrn (instead of space bar)

man less reveals that the -i option causes less to ignore case.
You can make it do this every time with "setenv LESS -i".

man lesskey reveals that you can chance the default bindings.  Example:

% cat >lesskeys
[press up key] back-line              # prints "^[[A back-line" on my system
[press dn key] forw-line              # "^[[B forw-line"
[prevscrn] back-screen                # "^[[5~ back-screen"
[nextscrn] forw-screen                # "^[[6~ forw-screen"
^D
% lesskey lesskeys

This will create a ~/.less file, which will be consulted whenever you
run less.

--
  Paul Falstad, pfalstad at phoenix.princeton.edu PLink:HYPNOS GEnie:P.FALSTAD
  I think there should be more race prejudice.  <slap> LESS race prejudice.