Can't log in right on console to accounts in CAPS.

Bill Meahan wwm at wa8tzg.mi.org
Fri May 24 04:06:22 AEST 1991

In article <7979 at auspex.auspex.com> guy at auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:
>>>     [-]lcase    Set xcase, iuclc, and olcuc.  With a `-',  unset
>>>                 them.

>>Might not be true for SYS V derivatives.
>
>Hate to tell you this, but the "stty" in SunOS 4.0.3 *is* a derivative of
>the S5R3 one....

HP-UX is a Sys V R ***2*** derivative :-(

>>On HP-UX, for example, use:
>>
>>	[-]IUCLC	Force upper case to lower case conversion
>>
>>in BOTH sections of the /etc/gettydefs entry.
>
>That's "/etc/gettydefs", not "stty".  The two aren't the same, and I was
>discussing the "stty" command.
>
>In addition, ihe "I" in "IUCLC" indicates that it's one of the "i"nput
>flags; it affects *only* input, *not* output.  Upper-case-only terminals
>generally want to run with "IUCLC" (to map upper-case to lower-case on
>input), "OLCUC" (to map lower-case to upper-case on output), and "XCASE"
>(to cause upper-case characters to be mapped to '\' followed by the
>character on output, and cause '\' followed by that character to be
>mapped to an upper-case character on input; this also works for some
>special characters such as "{" == "\(").

Sometimes true, sometimes not.  For example, an HP3082 Industrial Touch
terminal has a built-in sealed 'keyboard' which generates upper-case
only characters.  An external HPHIL keyboard allows both upper and lower
case characters.  The screen will display anything.  Out in the factory,
it makes no sense to use the external keyboard, especially if the 3082
is hung on one of the building columns.  But how then to log in to a
UNIX system WITHOUT getting the \W\H\A\T\E\V\E\R blues.  Does BAD things
to curses-based forms :-)

In such applications, it may not be necessary to do the 'stty -iuclc'
trick, depending upon whether or not there is a need to generate UPPER
case data (say a part number) and whether or not the application
software 'cares' about what's entered.

As with most of life, which of several solutions you use may well depend
on individual circumstances.

BTW, the IUCLC/stty -iuclc approach is useful as well for public
terminals where the previous user may have accidentally left the
CAPS_LOCK key engaged.  At least this lets the user get logged in
without problems (assuming no upper-case characters in the password).

No argument with your approach, just one more way of doing things that
might be appropriate under certain circumstances.
--
Bill Meahan (WA8TZG)             |   Programming is simple:
wwm at wa8tzg.mi.org  OR            |