Need advice on a Unix/386sx system...

Steve Daukas steved at hrshcx.csd.harris.com
Wed May 8 03:42:17 AEST 1991

<< Sorry if this appears more than once, my first post never made it? >>

I am looking for some advice on running Unix on my PC and the pros and cons of
running variants like minix et. al..  While I'd love to have a Unix box on my
desk, I simply can't afford that - I already have a 386sx PC and need to build
upon it.  I want to be able to run vi, elm, emacs, X11R4, etc., as well as
write some device driver code and compile it.  I am also looking to become
more familiar with the Unix kernel.  I use a SVR3 based kernel at work with
BSD extensions.  I would like the time invested at home to carry over to work.

In addition to the Unix environment, I would like to run DOS applications
under Unix (in an X window).  I need to run various types of application
code ranging from spread sheets to business graphics and databases.  I _think_
I want to run these under Unix so that I can have more than one going at a
time, and also write code in yet another window.  I am an engineer working on
a MBA, so I want to do homework and write code at the same time. ;-)

Given what I need and want, I believe I have four criteria that need to be met:

1) The user environment:

	I want to be able to use AT&T based system administration, libraries,
	etc.. BSD extensions would be nice, but not expected.  I would like the
	variant to be rather up to date (SVR3 or better) so things like Coherent	are not my first choice.  I want to run X11R4 (even though it may be
	painfully slow), MOTIF (even slower?), EMACS, et. al..

2) The development environment:

	I want to be able to write code (e.g., device drivers, X, etc.) that is
	readily portable to the Unix mainstream.  I am interested in being able
	to bring work home without having to use a modem.  I also want to
	explore various topics that I am not presently involved with at work.

3) DOS support:

	I would like to run DOS applications under Unix so that I can have
	more than one going at a time.  I have heard of such things as vm/ix
	(I believe thats what it is called), but have no real knowledge of which
	one works and which will run under X.

4) Price (you knew this was on its way...):

	I want my cake and I want to eat it too!  I don't have a great deal of
	money, but I also understand that this will be an investment in my
	technical skills.  I don't want to spend too much, though - especially
        in hidden costs (like 1 Gig disks...).

I very much appreciate any help, insight, or comments.  I especially welcome
inputs as to where my expectations are out of line with reality.
I simply don't know the best way to glue all of these environments together...

Thanks in advance!  I will summarize any E-mail that comes my way.

Steve
--
| Stephen C. Daukas ||  sdaukas at csd.harris.com |