DTR program

Uwe Doering gemini at geminix.in-berlin.de
Wed May 15 18:39:24 AEST 1991

lh at aega84.UUCP (L. Hirschbiegel) writes:

>In article <XKTQY0O at geminix.in-berlin.de> gemini at geminix.in-berlin.de (Uwe Doering) writes:
>>
>>You can't monitor DTR because it's not an input line. It is an
>>output and can be controlled by a C program. But I think that's
>>not what you wanted.
>>
>>    Uwe
>
> What's that??? As far as I recall the specifications, DTR is an output
> line for DTE's but it might as well be an input line for DCE's !
> The same is obviously valid for DSR.

Yes, but a computer is usually a DTE, and therefore DTR is an output.
On a DCE (a modem, for instance), DTR is of course an input.

What the original author wanted was to monitor DTR from a C program
running on his computer. And, for obvious reasons, this isn't possible.

     Uwe
Uwe Doering  |  INET : gemini at geminix.in-berlin.de
Germany      |  UUCP : ...!unido!fub!geminix.in-berlin.de!gemini