Limitations of cp and mv?

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.brl.mil
Tue May 21 13:19:50 AEST 1991

In article <DJM.91May19175716 at egypt.eng.umd.edu> djm at eng.umd.edu (David J. MacKenzie) writes:
>mv (no special option needed -- I don't like that part) will move
>entire directory trees across filesystems transparently.

Well, it CAN'T.  Hard links into the hierarchy from outside it cannot be
preserved by such a move.

Where in the world did POSIX.2 get the idea of -R?  I've already determined
that we are NOT going to be specifying POSIX.2 in any procurements I'm
involved in -- why would I want to specify an incompatible, non-UNIX system
instead of the subset of UNIX that I really need?