Do you use find command?

john.urban urban at cbnewsl.att.com
Fri May 17 22:59:49 AEST 1991

In article <2570005 at hpcc01.HP.COM> maryhc at hpcc01.HP.COM (Mary Hsia-Coron) writes:

>Do you use the -print and -depth options with the find command?
>
>-print option:
>--------------
>All the manual pages I've read recommend using -print to display
>output from find. I've found that -print is unnecessary
>on my HP-UX systems (7.0 HP-UX and later releases). For example,
>              find / -user pat
>works fine.
>
>Question:
>---------
>On your UNIX system, must -print be used to display the results of
>find? (Please state what flavor of UNIX you have: ULTRIX, SUN, ZENIX, etc.)

On AT&T UNIX System V/x86 Release 4.0 Version 2.1, if you type in:
	find / -user install

You'll get:
	find: no action specified

On other UNIX boxes I've seen, find not give you an error message but just
run for a while and the give you the prompt back.  Since no action was
specified, no output was produced.

Sincerely,

John Ben Urban