Help for pic/grep on SunOS 4.X.X

Bill Campbell bill at camco.Celestial.COM
Tue May 28 03:52:31 AEST 1991

In <16261 at smoke.brl.mil> gwyn at smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:

:In article <27001 at adm.brl.mil> KX10LYC0%TWNITRI1.BITNET at cunyvm.cuny.edu writes:
:>     I CAN'T FIND THE ---pic---, ---grep---, etc. ON SUN OS 4.*.*
:>     ENVIRONMENT.
:>     In Sun OS 4.*.*, you can only find the troff/nroff, tbl, eqn, and some
:>macros for processing text.

:For reasons that I don't understand, Sun decided not to make the Documenter's
:WorkBench package (which is where "pic", "grap", etc. come from) available,
:even via separate licensing.  The "troff" etc. that they DO provide are the
:old C/A/T-specific versions, not the modern device-independent troff that the
:Documenter's WorkBench provides.

:You can license Documenter's WorkBench directly from AT&T, but you'll need to
:get the sources and port it yourself, or find someone who has done so.

I think these are also supported by groff from the gnu project of
the Free Software Foundation.  I haven't tried to get groff
running yet because it is written in c++ (g++) and I don't have
that running on my Xenix box yet either :-(

Bill
--
INTERNET:  bill at Celestial.COM   Bill Campbell; Celestial Software
UUCP:   ...!thebes!camco!bill   6641 East Mercer Way