Using User Datagram Protocol on Ethernet

Tom Griest griest at ajpo.sei.cmu.edu
Tue May 21 04:40:30 AEST 1991

HELP!!

I am trying to interface a Unix system (386/ix) to a bare machine
using Ethernet datagrams (UDP).  I use t_open, t_bind, and t_sndudata
without getting an error but nothing appears on the net (monitored by
a promiscuous machine).  I have tried sending 100 1K packets to make
sure I hit any high water marks, and I have also tried to run in
super-user mode.  What magic spell must be chanted to get this beast
to spew out datagrams???  Does the target have to acknowledge its
existence before it can receive datagrams in a connection-less
environment?

                 Tom
                 griest at ajpo.sei.cmu.edu

NOTE: I also tried the socket/bind/sendmsg approach with the same results.