ULTRIX does not co-operate with VT terminals ?

TED%peanut.prime.com at relay.cs.net TED%peanut.prime.com at relay.cs.net
Wed May 22 23:04:55 AEST 1991

Date:     Mon, 20 May 91 14:09 EDT
From:     KARAGEOR%CTSTATEU.BITNET at yalevm.ycc.yale.edu
MMDF-Warning:  Parse error in original version of preceding line at SEM.BRL.MIL
Subject:  ULTRIX does not co-operate with VT terminals ?
To:       info-unix at sem.brl.mil

        Here is the problem. We have a coupla DECstations 5000 connected to
a VAX via DECNET. The DECstations users log on to the systems using the local
LAT services. Problem is that their cursors go wild on fast screen operations.
This means that if somebody tries to move to fast down inside vi the whole
screen becomes a jumble. The weid thing is that one of the decstations has
a VT320 for a console and it causes the same problems, but (BUT) the other
one that runs under DECwindows using dxterm works flawlessly.
        Questions:
                A) I am correct to suppose it is a termcap problem ?
                B) Is it just that DEC is incompatible with itself ?
                C) Should I just give it up nad enjoy the summer ?
        Any pointers are more than welcome. In the mean time i will try to fool
around with some of the timing settings of the termcap and see what happens.

        Thank you before hand.
        Angelos Karageorgiou
internet:   karage at cmx.npac.syr.edu
BITNET:     KARAGEOR_ANG at CTSTATEU.BITNET
wise crack: none the summer heat and my hormonic influx are making a Cro Magnon
            out of me.

(annotation added by TED)