Boot Floppy?

john.urban urban at cbnewsl.att.com
Wed May 15 23:16:32 AEST 1991

In article <1991May14.165951.19796 at mccc.edu> pjh at mccc.edu (Peter J. Holsberg) writes:
>I was sure I'd find the answer in an FAQ file, but....
>
>How does one make a boot floppy with AT&T SV/386 R3.2.2?  It should have
>(at least) the current \unix (or at least a special one that includes
>the drivers for the Consensys ESDI HD controller and the WangDAT SCSI
>DAT controller so that after booting, I can restore from a full-backup
>DAT tape.
>
>Thanks,

To make a boot floppy for SVR3.2.2, the simplest thing to do is to get an
existing Boot floppy and make a copy of it.  To make a copy of it do:

1) Insert original boot floppy.
2) dd if=/dev/rdsk/f0t of=/tmp/IMAGE bs=15b
3) Remove original boot floppy and insert new floppy
4) format -i2 /dev/rdsk/f0q15dt (for 5.25") or
   format -i2 /dev/rdsk/f03ht (for 3.5")       This MUST MATCH ORIGINAL BOOT FLOPPY
5) dd if=/tmp/IMAGE of=/dev/rdsk/f0t bs=15b
6) fsck -y /dev/rdsk/f0
7) mount /dev/dsk/f0 /mnt

Then replace /unix or whatever else you want to replace on the boot floppy.  Be
carefull about space, their ain't much left.

Sincerely,

John Ben Urban