FTP directories

Adrian J Ho adrianho at barkley.berkeley.edu
Sat May 11 07:14:24 AEST 1991

In article <1991May10.065919.3216 at jadpc.cts.com> jdeitch at jadpc.cts.com (Jim Deitch) writes:
>The mget in my ISC ftp will recursivley get directories, if they exist
>on the target machine already.  If I want a directory tree all I do is
>get the layout and then go to shell, make the directories, go to the
>top of the tree, and do my mget.

Yeah, but will it do the same for subdirectory tree >1 level deep?
None of the ftp's I've seen will do that; if yours does, more power to
you.

Some sites (our local scam.berkeley.edu, for instance) have set up
modified ftpd's which automatically tar and feather subdirectories
that you try to ftp.  This, of course, depends on the site concerned.

The only way I know of that will work for ALL sites (aside from
grabbing the BSD ftp source and tinkering around with that) is the
solution Don proposed (ie. the rftp/expect combo).  Anyone have any
better solutions?