Help for pic/grep on SunOS 4.X.X

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.brl.mil
Sat May 25 08:01:51 AEST 1991

In article <27001 at adm.brl.mil> KX10LYC0%TWNITRI1.BITNET at cunyvm.cuny.edu writes:
>     I CAN'T FIND THE ---pic---, ---grep---, etc. ON SUN OS 4.*.*
>     ENVIRONMENT.
>     In Sun OS 4.*.*, you can only find the troff/nroff, tbl, eqn, and some
>macros for processing text.

For reasons that I don't understand, Sun decided not to make the Documenter's
WorkBench package (which is where "pic", "grap", etc. come from) available,
even via separate licensing.  The "troff" etc. that they DO provide are the
old C/A/T-specific versions, not the modern device-independent troff that the
Documenter's WorkBench provides.

You can license Documenter's WorkBench directly from AT&T, but you'll need to
get the sources and port it yourself, or find someone who has done so.