What is the use of Telnet?

Philippe Goujard ppg at oasis.icl.co.uk
Wed May 1 23:58:54 AEST 1991

I'm currently developping a version of the ISO Virtual Terminal and I'm
in charge of the Asynchronous mode and Telnet emulation.

I have a good theorical knowledge of telnet (RFC854) and I can use telnet
with our unix machines over TCP/IP. But for me it works more or less like
rlogin. Therefore I cannot realy figure what is telnet used for (or was used
as the rfc is from 1983).

What do you use telnet for? (and why not "only" rlogin?)
Do you use the "transmit binary" facility? If yes for what purpose?
(transfering files, driving directly the screen?, ...)
Do you use facilities like "Are You There" or "Abort Output" or "Transmit
Go Ahead"?

Please reply by email, I will post a summary if enough interest.

Philippe GOUJARD                                Email : ppg at oasis.icl.co.uk
"Another version of MS/DOS is called OS/2" : ICL News