What is the use of Telnet?

Magnus Olsson magnus%thep.lu.se at Urd.lth.se
Thu May 2 19:33:43 AEST 1991

In article <9105011358.AA23292 at ozone.oasis.icl.stc.co.uk> ppg at oasis.icl.co.uk (Philippe Goujard) writes:
>I have a good theorical knowledge of telnet (RFC854) and I can use telnet
>with our unix machines over TCP/IP. But for me it works more or less like
>rlogin. Therefore I cannot realy figure what is telnet used for (or was used
>as the rfc is from 1983).

For example, if you want to log in on a machine that doesn't run Unix -
(at least I haven't found out any way to rlogin on a VMS box). Such machines
do exist, incredible though it may seem...

Magnus Olsson                   | \e+      /_
Dept. of Theoretical Physics    |  \  Z   / q
University of Lund, Sweden      |   >----<
Internet: magnus at thep.lu.se     |  /      \===== g
Bitnet: THEPMO at SELDC52          | /e-      \q