Can't log in right on console to accounts in CAPS.

Bill Meahan wwm at wa8tzg.mi.org
Mon May 20 05:09:50 AEST 1991

In article <7920 at auspex.auspex.com> guy at auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:
>>Or, do a 'stty -lcase'.  This is standard Unix "you just gota know" trivia.
>>I have yet to find this option in *ANY* man page.
>
>Apparently you're unlucky, then.  From the SunOS 4.0.3 man page:

>  Combination Modes

>     [-]lcase    Set xcase, iuclc, and olcuc.  With a `-',  unset
>                 them.
>
>     [-]LCASE    Same as lcase (-lcase).
>
>Similar things occur in the 4.3-tahoe man page:
>
>	lcase	map upper case to lower case
>
>	-lcase	do not map case
>
>and in just about every *other* UNIX "stty" man page I've seen.

Might not be true for SYS V derivatives.  On HP-UX, for example, use:

	[-]IUCLC	Force upper case to lower case conversion

in BOTH sections of the /etc/gettydefs entry.  WARNING:  Best not have
ANY upper case characters in the password - there will NOT be any
matches!!!!

To turn upper-to-lower case conversion off once the person has logged
in, put a:

	stty -iuclc

in /etc/profile.

NB:  the case of the flags above IS SIGNIFICANT!
--
Bill Meahan (WA8TZG)             |   Programming is simple:
wwm at wa8tzg.mi.org  OR            |