Can we replace a 2.3 Exabyte with a 5?

Peter Steele peter at aucs.AcadiaU.ca
Sat May 11 03:37:53 AEST 1991

We have a CDC 4680 (aka a MIPS 6280) with a 2.3 gig Exabyte tape
drive installed. We have to increas our backup capacity and one
of the options we're looking at is upgrading our 2.3 Exabyte with
the newer 5 gig model (the 8500). We have found a company who will
take the 2.3 gig drives on trade-in for the 5 gig drives for about
$2500. That's a very attractive price for us, but we want to know
will the upgraded drive work in the 4680? We're running EP/IX 1.2.3,
although we have 1.3.1 on order. Has anyone tried something like
this on a MIPS box or anything else for that matter?
--
Peter Steele  Postmaster  peter.steele at acadiau.ca   Tel: 902-542-2201
Software Analyst, Acadia University, Wolfville, NS  Fax: 902-542-7224