Do you use find command?

David J. MacKenzie djm at eng.umd.edu
Sat May 18 01:37:26 AEST 1991

>>All the manual pages I've read recommend using -print to display
>>output from find. I've found that -print is unnecessary
>>on my HP-UX systems (7.0 HP-UX and later releases). For example,
>>              find / -user pat
>>works fine.

In most future Unix systems, -print will be assumed if no actions are
given, because the draft POSIX 1003.2 (shell & utilities) standard
requires that.  In most existing systems, this feature has not been
added yet, and find without an action simply goes through your
directory tree producing no output and wasting CPU time.

--
David J. MacKenzie <djm at eng.umd.edu> <djm at ai.mit.edu>