Do you use find command?

Phil Howard KA9WGN phil at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Sun May 19 16:15:31 AEST 1991

maryhc at hpcc01.HP.COM (Mary Hsia-Coron) writes:

>Do you use the -print and -depth options with the find command?

I use -print, but -depth does not work.

>-print option:
>--------------
>All the manual pages I've read recommend using -print to display
>output from find. I've found that -print is unnecessary
>on my HP-UX systems (7.0 HP-UX and later releases). For example,
>              find / -user pat
>works fine.

For me, it gives no output.  If that's what I want, then it works fine.

>Question:
>---------
>On your UNIX system, must -print be used to display the results of
>find? (Please state what flavor of UNIX you have: ULTRIX, SUN, ZENIX, etc.)

Yes.  Alternatively "-ls".  Sequent DYNIX.

>-depth option:
>--------------
>The AT&T System V manual pages say that when find is used with cpio,
>-depth should be used to list files in directories without write
>permission. For example:
>       find / -name report -depth | cpio -ov > /dev/rmt/0h
>
>On HP-UX systems, find will list files in directories without write
>permission even when -depth is NOT used.

I suppose it might be nice to have a way to specify NOT to do that.

>Question:
>---------
>On your UNIX system, must find be used with -depth when piping to cpio?
>(Please state what flavor of UNIX you have: ULTRIX, SUN, ZENIX, etc.)

I can pipe anything I want to anything I want.  I've never used "cpio".
When I use "tar" I usually want the whole tree and "tar" does that fine.

>I'm documenting use of find on UNIX systems IN GENERAL and want to make the
>right recommendations about whether to use -print and -depth. I was going
>to recommend that both options not be used.

I'm afraid you documentation would be implementation/vendor specific.

But noting your address domain and job description from your signature,
it sounds as though that might not be a problem.  If you are writing this
specifically for HP-UX users, then of course it is appropriate to deal
with exactly how these things work in HP-UX.  Perhaps you are writing it
to be more generic, in which case you have a big chore ahead of you,
since there are so many inconsistent flavors of everything out there.

>Thanks for any info you can provide!
>Mary Hsia-Coron
>Hewlett-Packard Customer Training
>mary at hpasdd.hp.com