question about tar.Z file

Luke Mewburn s902113 at minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au
Wed May 22 12:26:53 AEST 1991

khwang at cse.uta.edu (khwang) writes:

>Hello,

>Does anyone out there how I can teansfer a tar.Z file to ASCII readble
>file ? I tried uncompress, for example, a.tar.Z then I got an a.tar then
>what next ? Your reply will be greatly appreciated !

>KC
>.

Well, if you want to get an ascii file out of a tar file (eg.
a.tar in your example), type:
  tar -xvof a.tar

This will untar the lot. '-xvo' says untar the file, and '-o' makes you the
owner.
I am pretty sure that if you edited the file (ie, a.tar) with vi, you could
rip the text out yourself, but that is fiddly.