question about tar.Z file

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.brl.mil
Wed May 22 12:40:00 AEST 1991

In article <1991May22.005816.1351 at cse.uta.edu> khwang at cse.uta.edu (khwang) writes:
>Does anyone out there how I can teansfer a tar.Z file to ASCII readble
>file ? I tried uncompress, for example, a.tar.Z then I got an a.tar then
>what next ? Your reply will be greatly appreciated !

The file names were chosen to indicate the format.  The .Z suffix
conventionally indicates application of BSD "compress", and as you discovered
it is understood by "uncompress".  The .tar suffix undoubtedly means that the
file is a "tar" archive.  Look up "tar" in Section 1 of your UNIX user manual.