When does wtmp reset?

Terence P. Ma tpm-sprl!tpm at uunet.uu.net
Wed May 22 05:55:05 AEST 1991

UNIX-gurus:

While looking over the earlier question of how to look up when someone was
last logged in, I see that the command "last" (on my SS1+; SunOS4.1.1) is
appropriate.  However, whenever I type "last" I note that wtmp is started at
the same time as the earliest login of that particular day.  I am suspecting
that this is because I have the accounting program run in the middle of the
night and it resets wtmp (is this correct? -- couldn't find it in the any
manual entry).

I know that the last login date is in /var/adm/lastlog.  Is there an easy
way to get the lastlogin date and time of all users or groups of users
without using "finger -s user1 user2 ..." to get at it?

Thanks!
Tere

Terence P. Ma, Ph.D.
Department of Anatomy				If it were easy, some one
University of Mississippi Medical Center	would have done it already.
2500 North State Street					-- anonymous
Jackson, MS 39216
VOICE:	601-984-1654			UUCP:	tpm-sprl!tpm at uunet.uu.net