Questions concerning BaSH

Lars P. Fischer fischer at iesd.auc.dk
Fri Jan 11 16:47:32 AEST 1991

>>>>> On 9 Jan 91 21:37:26 GMT, melling at cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) said:

Michael> I found BASH 1.05 to be very unstable.  I wouldn't use it as my login
Michael> shell.

I have used bash as my login shell for more than a year now and loved
it all the way. True, it has crashed a few times, but not nearly
enough to be of any concern -- the advantages of bash outweighs the
cost in a big way.

Michael> For now though, I recommend tcsh.

I just changed site and I haven't got bash set up yet, so I've been
using tcsh for a few days now, and it driving me nuts. No searching,
no undo, no piping out of for-loops ... YUCK.

I wouldn't recommend bash as a login shell for naive (non UNIX
literate) users, yet. For me its the best there is.

/Lars
--
Lars Fischer,  fischer at iesd.auc.dk   | Q: How does a project get to be one
CS Dept., Univ. of Aalborg, DENMARK. | year late?     A: One day at a time.