Questions concerning BaSH

Rob McMahon cudcv at warwick.ac.uk
Tue Jan 15 04:35:08 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan9.140124.22689 at odin.diku.dk> kimcm at diku.dk (Kim Christian Madsen) writes:
>>Pros/Cons vs. TCSH
>
>+Has emacs like i-search and reverse-i-search.
>
>This is a great help, for finding old commands in just a few strokes, instead
>of C-p-C-p-C-p ad nauseam.

But note that tcsh has ESC-p to search for previous commands that began with a
certain string, which is usually all you need.  Also I find tcsh's ESC-s for
spell-word, ESC-$ for spell-line, and `set correct = all' for automatic
typo correction invaluable.

I have tried bash out a bit, but it was too flakey at 1.05 for me to use.  A
beta version of 1.06 was around for a bit and seemed much better, but was
branded unofficial.  The problem with bash is that the bash newsgroup/mailing
list is full of `I have problem X' ... `S'OK, that was fixed 6 months ago',
which gets very frustrating.  Where are these fixes ?

I'm sure bash is great for Brian and Chet, and one of these years might be
good for the rest of us, but for now I'll stick to tcsh.

Rob
--
UUCP:   ...!mcsun!ukc!warwick!cudcv	PHONE:  +44 203 523037
JANET:  cudcv at uk.ac.warwick             INET:   cudcv at warwick.ac.uk
Rob McMahon, Computing Services, Warwick University, Coventry CV4 7AL, England