Writing a mail server

Paolo Ventafridda venta at otello.sublink.org
Sun Jan 20 03:09:33 AEST 1991

>From article <9101181938.AA01084 at cmsun.nrl.navy.mil>, by phillips at CMSUN.NRL.NAVY.MIL (Lee Phillips):
= I am thinking of writing a shell script that auto-replys to incoming
= mail messages with certain subject headers by mailing a file to the
= sender -- you know, a mail server that people can use to get certain
= files.  It should also keep a log of who got what.  I'll bet there
= already is a tool like this out there, though, and I won't have to
= write my own, right?
>                                            Lee Phillips

You're right. Me and Marco Lorenzini (in Italy) wrote a mail server
running under bourne shell (though someone uses bash) which was
distributed inside c.s.misc in september.
It's called RNALIB, and currently we are about to send to
betatesters the 2.2 release.
Our (huge and sofisticated) script is able to process requests like:
 send filename from library with compress via uucp
 it is also able to split files, handle blacklists, using alternate
 layers (like uucp, email, uusend etc), convert files between
 formats like tar, compress, lharc, zoo (and combinations).
 For instance, a user might like to receive a file.tar.Z package
 but he doesn't have a 'tar' and a 'compress' on his system since
 he's running DOS; so he can ask rna for a conversion to .lharc.
 In the new version rna also handles some LISTSERV commands,
 so you can set up real mailing lists.
 Rna does all necessary things, like accounting, security,
 diagnostic etc.

Developed initially on a 286 xenix system (2 years ago), it's now
around 80K, it's mantained under sco unix and at&t 3b2 unix.
It works anywhere, except 286 machines (stack problems of course).
Rna does not use 'awk' . It's also pretty fast; the software
is supported.

Anyone interested can send me mail, i can send docs or the whole
sw. Basically rna does everything netlib does, plus many other
things, plus listserver.. and it comes up with really no efforts.

ciao, Paolo
Paolo Ventafridda     -*-     INTERNET: venta at otello.sublink.org
TELEMATIX MILANO - Via C.Gomes 10, 20124 Milano -  +39-2-6706012