question about compiling

Kai Shing O'Yang oyang at bruce.cs.monash.OZ.AU
Tue Jan 8 16:30:19 AEST 1991

In <quan.663309881 at sol> quan at sol.surv.utas.oz (Stephen Quan) writes:

>cshort at nmsu.edu (SpamG*D lord of potted meat products) writes:
>>since my acount size is small, i would like to set up source
>>code in a /tmp then compile it into my dir. how would i do this?
>>also is the a make toggle that would delete the souce files
>>when it is done with them?

>You could make a symbolic link in /tmp to your directory.
>eg. ln -s ~/myrunfile /tmp/myrunfile

>That way, when you overwrite /tmp/myrunfile you are really
>overwritting ~/myrunfile.

>A cleaner solution would to get a large account size :).

This is a dangerous practice. If your machine crashes, you may lose
your files because /tmp is the first place to clear.
If you insist on using /tmp, I would advise to name your directory as
.mydir because this wouldn't be deleted by rm -*.
--
- Kai S O'Yang, Dept of Comp Sci, Monash Uni, Clayton VIC 3168, Australia
- AARNET: oyang at bruce.cs.monash.edu.au         - Voice : +(61) 3 565 5778