Questions concerning BaSH

Lars P. Fischer fischer at iesd.auc.dk
Wed Jan 9 06:02:20 AEST 1991

>>>>> On 8 Jan 91 15:47:46 GMT, jc at bu-pub.bu.edu (James Cameron) said:

James> I have seen a few references to Bash.  I was just curious as to where
James> I can get it, and what are the pros cons in comparison to tsch.

The Bourne Again SHell is available from prep.ai.mit.edu and several
other places.

Compared to tcsh:
  - bash i sh syntax, which is much nicer and what you use for scripts
    anyway. Being able to pipe output from a loop i a must.
  - bash has a more powerful command line editor, ie. you can search
    for a line containing any string, etc.
  - the command line editor used in bash is available as a library for
    use in other programs. If you change the key bindings, it takes
    effect in *all* programs that use the command line editor. I like
    this a lot for use in gdb etc.
  - command line editing lets you retrieve individual lines from a
    loop, say. Being able to get the first line only is a true tcsh
    brain damage.
  - You get the src to hack.
  - The price is right :-)

Overall, it's a matter of preference: sh or csh. I used to be a csh
user, but nowadays I much prefer sh.

Try it.

/Lars
--
Lars Fischer,  fischer at iesd.auc.dk   | Q: How does a project get to be one
CS Dept., Univ. of Aalborg, DENMARK. | year late?     A: One day at a time.