Compress on the '286 (was: how to compile pcomm in sysv)

Eric Schnoebelen eric at egsner.cirr.com
Sun Oct 28 03:14:59 AEST 1990

In article <501 at tndsyd.oz> berny at tndsyd.oz (Berny Goodheart) writes:
-
- The 286 is only capable of compressing to 12 BITS.

        Uh..  You really need to tell that to boomer, my Compaq Portable
//, running Microport System V/AT.  It routinely compresses and
uncompresses 16 bit compressed files.

        Granted, boomer has two meg of memory, but I have had compress
working in as little as 1.5 meg of real memory under uPort SysV/AT..

        I'll gladly uuencode and send the compress binary I use on
boomer to anyone who might need it, although it isn't really that hard
to get built..  As matter of fact, the makefile for compress 4.0 even
includes flags for building on System V/AT.

Eric Schnoebelen		eric at cirr.com		schnoebe at convex.com
"The UNIX PC 3B1: 75% of the power of a VAX-11/780" - Technology Resource Ctr