UNIX for 286

Nathan D. Lane nlane at well.sf.ca.us
Wed Jun 12 11:01:39 AEST 1991

In article <Jun.10.23.09.40.1991.173 at athos.rutgers.edu> hedrick at athos.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) writes:
>>      Is there any version of UNIX for the '286 that has any kind of DOS
>>emulation on it.
>
>Microport SV/AT supports Merge/286.  That does a quite reasonable job
>of running DOS applications.  The main limit is that you can have only
>one DOS application active at a time.  (Of course there are the usual
>issues about reliability with Microport Unix, but it does basically
>work.)

AT&Ts system V for 286s has Merge/286 as well, with the same one dos
task limit.  I believe the version for AT&T was Sys V v2.3.  I saw
it running on a 6 MHz (!) AT&T 6300+ machine.  The user used it as
a DOS machine exclusively and basically destroyed the Unix system
by turning it off (fsck everytime it came on).

I'm also interested in Unix for 286s - what are the fees for Microport
sys V AT?  Anyone have any info on the version of Unix mentioned above?

Thanks in advance.

Nathan Lane
Digital Technology Service
Santa Barbara, CA