uPort /bin/mail 32K limit?

Chris Linstruth chris at ukelele.UUCP
Tue May 7 11:06:17 AEST 1991

Hope this isn't a FAQ, but a problem has cropped up since I began
requesting sources from a mail server.  Microport's /bin/mail seems to
have a 32K message size limit.  An *undocumented* limit, that is.

Really has strange results, too.  /bin/lmail (Microport's /bin/mail)
returns an error status when a message of > 32768 bytes is encountered
even though the message was placed in the user's mailbox correctly.
Smail treats this error code as an undeliverable and bounces the mail
back to the sender.

I'm running the smail2.5 package as rmail/mail and the stock uPort
mail as lmail.  Oh, all running under uPort 2.4.0-U.

I'm sure I'm not the first person to have this problem.  If someone
could steer me toward a replacement /bin/lmail, I'd be most grateful.

Thanks in advance...
Chris
--
Chris Linstruth              ____   ___          The Genuine Aloha Ukelele