HP Laserjet not working under SCO Unix

Jim Burns gt0178a at prism.gatech.EDU
Fri Oct 5 13:11:15 AEST 1990

in article <4 at pcssc.UUCP>, dma at pcssc.UUCP (Dave Armbrust) says:

> The problem may be the binary 8 bit data being sent through the parallel
> printer driver.

Wild guess - is the xfer protocol 8 bits?

> I prefer not to use a serial interface unless this is the only
> way to solve the problem.  A parallel port should be faster
> then serial.

The limiting factor for graphics should be the processing and printing
time, NOT the xfer rate.

		Also a parallel port does not have the problem
> of print jobs going off into 'never-never' land when the
> printer is not turned on.

True enough. I have the same problem on an HP 9000/800. HP said the
hardware protocol used w/ their mux interface doesn't support hardware
handshaking, so we're always losing files till someone turns the printer
on. Now you tell me PC's do this too?! What's wrong w/unix vis-a-vis
serial hardware handshakes?

--
BURNS,JIM
Georgia Institute of Technology, Box 30178, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
Internet: gt0178a at prism.gatech.edu