Buying a 386 - questions

Larry Snyder larry at nstar.uucp
Fri Oct 19 04:13:55 AEST 1990

jay at metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) writes:

>either!) to be able to use the computer again.  I strongly recommend such
>items as Paradise VGA+16, Western Digital WD1007, and other "standard"
>parts.  They are more expensive, but it seems they were the first pieces

I am running 386/ix release 2.20 with X from ISC (Release 1.2)
and my video board (ATI VGA Wonder works excellent (well, maybe
a little slow - but I have a feeling all the non-smart video boards
are slow under X) in 800x600 with 256 colors..

On top of the above - 386/ix supports the ATI VGA built in mouse
rather well --

>Gold Star color VGA monitor (ok, but not great)

which Gold Star?  Their 16 inch enhanced VGA
monitor is priced around $680 - I am wondering
how it works with X?

>ISC 386/ix 2.0.2 (many complaints on the net about bugs in 2.2, poor
>	technical support, and high prices)

I haven't had any problems with 2.20.  First thing I did after
installing 2.20 was to replace the mailer with smail3 -

I'll say one thing - 2.20 with the 1542 and multiple SCSI drives
is very, very fast ---

 {larry at nstar, uunet!sco!romed!nstar!larry, nstar!larry at ndmath.math.nd.edu}
                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)