Tricks to getting anon uucp to work with Esix

Bill Heiser bill at unixland.uucp
Fri Oct 12 08:17:00 AEST 1990

I recently went through quite a thing trying to get anonymous uucp
to work on my new Esix system.  It now appears to be working (I don't
have anything really set up for general use yet, so don't bother
trying it:-) (I don't have any file lists or anything yet).  I've
put together this little checklist of things to do beyond the normal
uucp setup stuff.  I hope it helps someone sometime...

The following things need to be checked to get anonymous uucp (inbound)
to work on an Esix system:

- Change /etc/default/login to include 'PASSREQ=NO'.  Otherwise,
  the system tries to force a password to exist for the anonymous uucp
  account, messing up attempts at inbound uucp.

- Edit /etc/shadow to delete the :14:28 from the entry for the anonymous
  uucp account.  Otherwise, a password is required for the account.

- Chmod /usr/lib/uucp/remote.unknown to 000.  Otherwise all inbound anonymous
  uucp attempts will be refused.

- The gettydefs file seems to be critical.  I think mine is working now,
  although I'm not sure exactly what the original problem was.  The file
  that comes with stock Esix seems to work -- but I had to use someone
  else's file in order to get my HST to work properly with Esix.  Rather
  than post the file here, I'll e-mail it to you on-request.

Other than this stuff, the usual uucp setup stuff applies.  The setup seems
to be very critical -- one thing not configured correctly, and you'll get
inexplicable failures.

Many thanks to the many people who sent replies trying to help with the
problem I had setting this up!  (too many people to list individually).
Also, thanks to the tech support person (it sounded like JR, but I'm not
sure) for his help in pointing out the default/login and shadow file
things.

Bill Heiser

--
home:	...!{uunet,bloom-beacon,esegue}!world!unixland!bill
	bill at unixland.uucp
	bill%unixland.uucp at world.std.com
	Public Access Unix (508) 655-3848
work:	heiser at sud509.ed.ray.com
other:	heiser at world.std.com   Public Access Unix (617) 739-9753

--
home:	...!{uunet,bloom-beacon,esegue}!world!unixland!bill
	bill at unixland.uucp
	bill%unixland.uucp at world.std.com
	Public Access Unix (508) 655-3848