Mixture of ISC 2.0.2 and 2.2 system softwares

Willy Paine paine at fungus.dec.com
Sat Oct 13 03:15:28 AEST 1990

Cc: decwrl::"comp.unix.sysv386.usenet"

Hi

> That's also what I was finally told to try -- that I should install
> my 16-bit VGA card on a 8-bit slot for the instalation procedure and
> after installion moving it back to a 16-bit slot. However, I haven't
> tried it, yet.  Actually, I am not going to try it
> until either I am assured that it will work or my system fails. It is
> a real pain to install the whole thing.

I dont blame you and installing 2.2 on >1024 gives me hell night once or
twice a week for two months!!!   Yes, I am told about switching VGA but
I did not know about putting 16 bits card in 8 bits slot....

> What is this inode bug?

AT&T already fix this inode bug but ISC have never fixed this at all.
See FAQ on 386 based Unix but I can send you one if you miss FAQ message.
I can get you inode bug fix program which is very small.  B News program
often causes file system running out of inodes and this causes alot of
interruptions on mailing and processing news.  C News never causes any
problem at all but I prefer B News over C News because B News is very
stable and easy to debug.  After switching back to B News, it took me
a week before I got screaming error messages on running out of inodes.

I have tried to install 2.0.2 on test machine and then restore this from
tape backup containing 2.2 files but this reboots itself infinitely!!

Have you tried 2.2 Kernal mixing with 2.0.2 boot, instal and core?

willy