FAS with NS16550A versus a smart serial card?

Larry Snyder larry at nstar.uucp
Fri Oct 12 22:13:07 AEST 1990

richard at pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) writes:

>Does anyone have any comparative data between running a fast uucp
>connection with an NS16550A port with the FAS driver versus one
>of the smarter serial cards?

I don't have any numbers for you - but I can tell you that we
are running with a Computone Intelliport here on nstar - and with
4 high speed modem sessions running - the system is just as fast as
without any modem connections (it boogies regardless).

We were some time ago using FAS - the serial IO was fast - but
the system would appear to get bogged down with 4 high speed
modems all going full blast (with high speed connections)..

 {larry at nstar, uunet!sco!romed!nstar!larry, nstar!larry at ndmath.math.nd.edu}
                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)