multiport serial board info needed

Larry Snyder larry at nstar.uucp
Tue Oct 23 22:43:20 AEST 1990

gary at mic.UUCP (Gary Lewin) writes:

>The RTS/CTS problem is one that tends to plague many serial board
>manufacturers.  Depending on which drivers are installed, Maxpeed does
>support RTS/CTS but on a shared port basis.  In this configuration, ttyaa
>and ab become one modem port and one 3 wire terminal port (in other words,
>you do completely lose ttyab, just DCD and DTR, which become RTS/CTS for
>ttyaa).

So one port will have the hardware flow control using additional lines
from another port - while the other port (the one who gave up the
additional lines) becomes a 3 wire terminal port - so if I want to
support 8 modems, I need 16 ports (if I go with maxspeed) and I am
stuck with 8 terminal ports - even if I don't need them.

Hmmm..  With my Computone (and from what I hear with the Comtrol
Ultra and latest Digiboard) if I need to support 8 modems, I get
8 ports - not 16.  The Computone works great with hardware flow
control on multiple modems.

I must be missing something here - I don't see why to buy twice
as many ports as one needs to run hardware flow control..

 {larry at nstar, uunet!sco!romed!nstar!larry, nstar%larry at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu}
                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)