funny mail things

Bill Heiser bill at unixland.uucp
Mon Oct 8 10:14:40 AEST 1990

I've noticed a couple of funny things happening since I installed smail
3.1.18. (19?)

First, when I read mail, the "From" line is sometimes munged, so Elm
mixes messages together.  In one case, a message included a second
message that started with something like "From! someone and so on..."...

The second problem is that outbound messages (from me) sometimes say
they're from someone else (another user on my system).  My password
entries are correct and I don't have any mis-matched uids.  The only
slightly strange thing there is that I have two usernames that map
to my uid.  I notice the problem when I get a reply to a message I've
sent out -- sometimes it will say "In reply to (other user)...".

Has anyone else seen any strange things with smail?   I didn't see
anything like this before installing smail.

My system is Esix Rev D on a 386/25, smail 3.1.18 (the archive said
3.1.19 but smail says 3.1.18).  My smart-mailhost is a Sun 4/280
running SunOS 4.0.3.  I'm not sure where the munging is occurring, but
my first hunch is it's smail.

Bill

--
home:  ...!{uunet,bloom-beacon,esegue}!world!unixland!bill
       bill%unixland.uucp at world.std.com
       Public Access Unix (508) 655-3848
work:  heiser at sud509.ed.ray.com