SCSI tape install problem with ISC 2.2

Larry Williamson larry at focsys.uucp
Sat Oct 6 02:41:30 AEST 1990

I've installed a Wantek 5125es tape drive in our ISC2.2 system. I
can't open to the new device. Using dd(1) to open /dev/tape, it fails
with the error message...
	dd: cannot create /dev/tape: No such device or address

The tape drive is is connected to an Adaptec 1542a controller (along
with a Maxtor drive that we've been using for months).  The disk is
SCSI id 0, the tape is SCSI id 5.

When the system is booted, the tape drive initializes (what a racket!)
The tape drive had been used in a Sony News station, so I'm sure it is
okay.

I installed the tape driver through kconfig's 'configure HPDD' option.
kconfig did not create the node.d/tape file, I had to do this by hand
based on what I read in tape(7). This is what node.d/tape looks like
at this moment.
	tape	tape	c	12
	tape	ntape	c	4

I've poured over the FMs and can find nothing that seems to help.

Any suggestions?

-Larry