SCSI tape install problem with ISC 2.2

Support account support at ism780c.isc.com
Wed Oct 10 04:30:47 AEST 1990

In article <LARRY.90Oct5114130 at focsys.uucp> larry at focsys.uucp (Larry Williamson) writes:

>I've installed a Wantek 5125es tape drive in our ISC2.2 system. I
>can't open to the new device. Using dd(1) to open /dev/tape, it fails
>with the error message...
>	dd: cannot create /dev/tape: No such device or address

One more thing to check would be DMA channel settings. In software,
this parameter is contained the rightmost field of the file
/etc/conf/cf.d/mdevice (documented in mdevice(4)), in this
case on the "tape" line. For this particular device, the field
should be either 5 or 6, matching the setting in hardware. If
the software doesn't match hardware, or if that field is set to
"-1" (meaning device doesn't use DMA), this error message can
result.