Need help with backups, ISC 2.0.2/floppies

Vick De Giorgio vickde at vicstoy.uucp
Sun Oct 28 09:40:30 AEST 1990

I am running a taiwan 386 box with ISC 2.0.2.

My problem is the lack of a tape drive. sysadm backup uses cpio, and
takes 10 minutes a floppy to 1.44 floppies.

My plan of attack was to put both /usr and /usr2 into /etc/save.d/except,
then backup / with sysadm backup, leaving /usr and /usr2 for tar, which
is much faster.

I edited /etc/save.d/except to remove the standard lines starting
with ^/usr/xxxx, and added the two lines

     ^/usr/
     ^/usr2/

This didn't work. sysadm backup still tries to backup everything in
/usr when I do a complete backup of root (I have small disks and didn't
make a separate /usr filesystem). As an alternative, I put lines in
/etc/save.d/except with the names of all subdirs off /usr. This didn't
work any better.

Anyone have any idea of what is going on? I really want to keep the
sysadm backup down to 5 or 6 floppies so I can use the much faster
tar for the rest of the system... =V=

--
Vick De Giorgio - uunet!tarpit!bilver!vicstoy!vickde
       INTERNET - tarpit!bilver!vicstoy!vickde at ucf-cs.ucf.edu
                - The Philosopher's Stone Unix BBS, Orlando FL
                - (407) 299-3661   24 hours   8N1