Shrinking the size of your executables (mcs(1) command)

Glenn Geers glenn at suphys.physics.su.OZ.AU
Wed Oct 31 18:56:33 AEST 1990

>From article <6924 at sugar.hackercorp.com>, by karl at sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer):
> The "mcs" command, used to manipulate the object file comment section in
> System V, does not appear to be a very well-known command, in that I
> have never seen it mentioned on the net.
>
> Anyone who has done a "what" on an executable after stripping the symbol
> table has been dismayed to see countless "Unix System V/386 Release 3.2
> lib/libc.a" messages and so forth.
>
> mcs, a poorly named command IMO, can get rid of those guys.  "mcs -d" on
> one of my tasks reduced the size from 98K to 89K bytes.  I recommend putting
> a "mcs -d" in your makefiles right after the "strip", where relevant...
> --
> -- uunet!sugar!karl
> -- Usenet access: (713) 438-5018

Hey, before you strip it use cprs(1) to remove duplicate structure and union
references.

cprs oldbin newbin

					Enjoy,
						Glenn

glenn at qed.physics.su.oz.au

--
Glenn Geers                       | "So when it's over, we're back to people.
Department of Theoretical Physics |  Just to prove that human touch can have