Shrinking the size of your executables (mcs(1) command)

Karl Lehenbauer karl at sugar.hackercorp.com
Tue Oct 30 16:38:31 AEST 1990

The "mcs" command, used to manipulate the object file comment section in
System V, does not appear to be a very well-known command, in that I
have never seen it mentioned on the net.

Anyone who has done a "what" on an executable after stripping the symbol
table has been dismayed to see countless "Unix System V/386 Release 3.2
lib/libc.a" messages and so forth.

mcs, a poorly named command IMO, can get rid of those guys.  "mcs -d" on
one of my tasks reduced the size from 98K to 89K bytes.  I recommend putting
a "mcs -d" in your makefiles right after the "strip", where relevant...
--
-- uunet!sugar!karl
-- Usenet access: (713) 438-5018