Consensys Powerports board

Keith Walker kew at cims2.uucp
Tue Oct 9 13:45:35 AEST 1990

lisbon at vpnet.chi.il.us (Gerry Swetsky) writes:

>Perhaps my first posting didn't make it to the net.....

Don't remember...

>Is anyone familiar with the POWERPORTS serial I/O card from Consensys
>Corporation?  The company says they've sold 10,000 of these.  Surely
>SOMEONE must have seen one!  They allegedly use a 32 bit processor on
>board and use NO interrupts.  Also their price is $395 per board to
>resellers.

I had an evaluation copy once.  Real neat until you plugged in a modem.
It just doesn't work with modems (temper that comment with the fact that
I had the board about a year ago).  About 6-8 months ago, Consensys came
under heavy net flame for producing a product that didn't work with modems
properly; last I heard they (Consensys) had sent their driver writers
to SCO to get some lessons on how it's done.

BTW, when I reported the modem problem to their tech support, they instantly
found fault with my hardware.  After all, they had zillions of them in the
field working just ducky. So I tried it on a different machine: same thing.
They weren't the most helpful people in the world, but I imagine it's hard
working tech support for a buggy product.

>Help!

Can't offer any more help than that.
Keith Walker           Domain: kew at cims.com
                         UUCP: uunet!proto!cims2!kew