Throughput Problem With TB+ and ODT

Mark J. Bailey root at mjbtn.JOBSOFT.COM
Sat Oct 6 21:53:41 AEST 1990

Hello Newsgroup People!

I was wondering if any of you had experienced degraded INBOUND xfer rates
with UUCP and a TB+ under ODT from SCO???  Basically, I seem to only average
1000~ CPS with UUNET *INBOUND* while *OUTBOUND* always seem to run between
1600-1800 CPS!  I have heard a few scattered comments to this effect, but
never a robust, definitive explanation.  Is it a problem with FLOW
CONTROL?  Have I left something out in a setup somewhere?  Why on the
inbound and not the outbound?  Last night (Friday), I only experienced
875 CPS inbound with about 1768 CPS outbound to uunet (with a fair amount
of data going each way).  That is just about 1/2 as fast in as out.  I find
this completely unacceptible.  Inbound is where most of the traffic flows,
and the greatest accumulator of uunet charges.

Because inbound would seem to possibly fill up a buffer and cause the
computer (DTE) to drop CTS to the modem (DCE) to get it to hold up a bit,
it makes me think something is wrong with hardware flow control.  If so,
SCO, what can be done about it?  Also, I have heard of FAS.  Has anyone
gotten the latest version (2.07?) to work CORRECTLY under SCO/ODT?  Can
one still use the dialTBIT program?  Will it still reset each time after
a uucico/cu process (dialHA24 -hx0 ... ...)?  Does it need to?

Anyway, I would just like to get the xfer rate back up to par here.  UUNET
has said to me that they are running "full blast" with their telebits
(ie, they are all running 19.2k to the serial ports and full flow control
is supported), so it has to be something with mine.  What experiences has
anyone had with using only SOFTWARE (XON/XOFF) flowcontrol with their
telebits?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Mark.

--
Mark J. Bailey, N4XHX                              _______/====X11====\_______
USMAIL: 511 Memorial Blvd., Murfreesboro, TN 37129 |         JobSoft         |