ISC 2.2 and ESDI controllers.

Geraldo Veiga ilan343 at violet.berkeley.edu
Sat Oct 6 15:34:37 AEST 1990

I am trying to get a ESDI Hard disk controller for a system that will
run some variety of 386/UNIX.  Are there any fool-proof
recommendations?  The disk is a Maxtor XT-4230.

I tried the WD1007V-SE2 in a borrowed machine running ISC 2.2,
following the recipe posted to this group a week or so ago.
Installation went fine until right after the file systems were created,
when it bombed with message

	PANIC athd_int never got non-busy got 0x0000D1.

I also tried a DTC 6280, installation went through partitioning,
surface analysis, bad sector list etc.  It also bombed soon after.

Are all 386/Unixes this finicky about ESDI controllers (I am assuming
it is the controller's fault as the same motherboard works with its
original hard disk)?  Would the Adaptek ACB2322 be a safer choice?

Geraldo Veiga